Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Spinach Pesto

This is so good, you won't even miss the parmesan cheese. Try it on pasta or add it to chicken salad for extra zing, or throw some into sandwich bread as a sneaky food.

6 cups fresh baby spinach, washed and dried
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
3 large cloves chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 - 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. dried basil

Process all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Start with 1/2 cup olive oil and add more as needed until desired consistency is reached. Adjust salt to taste. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

This is a great recipe - we are just embarking on the GFCF/corn/soy free journey for my 3 yr old mild asd boy. This will be a staple. I made it and your rissoles (also will be a staple - I added some grated carrot to the rissoles) and they have been a hit with everyone in the family. I have been using the pesto on everything and am just about to make another batch. Thanks!!!!

Erin said...

Hi Sarah, thanks - I'm glad you all like the pesto. We love it too!

Krisco said...

I loved this recipe. Since I'm newly diagnosed with dairy allergies, I missed the cheese taste to round out the flavour. I added some Nutritional Yeast and found it to be perfect. Thank you so much for all of your awesome recipes. I've become a huge fan!

Erin said...

I've been dairy free for almost 5 years now, and I don't really miss it anymore. There are other things that can stand in for dairy. You could use all pine nuts instead of a mix of walnuts and pine nuts, and that would give it more of a buttery flavor. I don't use nutritional yeast because I don't like the way it tastes, but it is a good idea!