Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

GFCF Sugar Cookie Cutouts

These cookies are really good, in fact people have told me that they are better than the "real thing". The dough is very easy to work with and not crumbly! .

1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 cup arrowroot flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup palm shortening
1 egg
1 tsp. lemon, orange, or almond extract, or 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk first 6 ingredients together.

Beat sugar and palm shortening together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until combined. Add lemon extract and mix well. Add dry ingredients and mix until large clumps form and dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.

Place half the dough onto a heavily floured surface (I used potato flour). Knead once or twice, then place wax paper over the dough. Roll to 1/4" thickness and cut into desired shapes. Places shapes onto cookie sheet that has been coated with cooking spray. Decorate with colored sugar (or frost after cookies have been baked and cooled).

Bake 10-12 minutes until edges are very lightly golden and bottoms are very lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can have butter. Do you suppose the butter could be used instead of palm shortening? I guess equal parts would be used, right?

Also, do you think cocoa powder could be add to these to make them chocolate flavored? Would I have to reduce some of the flour to add dry cocoa powder?

Just missing a great chocolate sugar cookie I used to make every Christmas.

Erin said...

Yes, you can use butter instead of the shortening. To make chocolate sugar cookies, try this: melt the butter with 3 ounces of unsweetened chocolate. Beat in the sugar, then beat in the egg and vanilla. Then continue with the recipe as it is. Let me know how that turns out for you.

Anonymous said...

My son is on the GFCF diet and also has a egg and nut allergies. What do you recommend for an egg replacement? Will organic applesauce work?

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Yes, you can use 3 tbsp. applesauce, 1/2 mashed banana or 1/4 cup pureed silken tofu to replace the egg in baked goods. Ener-G Egg Replacer also works, if you have it!

Erin said...

Wait, better yet, try this:
nix the egg, decrease sugar to 1/2 cup and add 1/4 cup maple syrup
OR
instead of the egg, blend ¼ tsp. baking soda + 1 tbsp. water + 1 tsp. canola oil and use in place of the egg in the recipe.

I'll be publishing a post about baking without eggs soon, if you want to check back.
erin

Katie said...

Hi,
First, I want to say your recipes are great! I'm about a month in on a trial G-C-S free elimination diet on behalf of my girls, and your site has been a HUGE help. Thank you!
Question about palm -- I'm reluctant to use it, thinking that canola or coconut oil (or margerine) would be healthier. Is this correct? Along these lines, could I substitute one of the above for the palm in these cookies? I'm guessing the oil would make them more crispy...? I have the oils in the house, but the margerine I have not yet found at the stores I've tried -- need to make a trip to the health food store (we're in Anchorage, so options are limited). What do you think?

Erin said...

Hi Katie,
thanks for your comment. I use Spectrum Organic Palm Shortening. It is not hydrogenated, has no trans fat, is cholesterol free,has heart healthy monounsaturated fat and has less saturated fat than butter. I used it with a clear conscience for special things like cakes, frostings and sugar cookies.

Margarine or shortening will work best with this sugar cookie recipe. Canola oil or coconut oil will make the cookies too crispy and crumbly - I don't think they will hold their shape after baking. I use Earth Balance dairy and soy free margarine. If your health food store does not carry it you can ask them to order it for you. In the meantime, give palm shortening a try, it is not as bad as you think.
erin

Anonymous said...

Tried these tonight. Yummy! We had trouble getting them to move from the pan to the wire rack the first batch and had to eat the ones that fell apart. Not that we minded;) Second batch we let them cool on the pan a bit, got a bigger spatula, and then moved them and it worked great. This is my first gluten free baking ever. I was scared to death to try it but the kids needed cookies to decorate tomorrow for a party. Thanks for making our first try a success.
-Becky
(PS We used a gluten free flour blend with guar gum because we can't find xanthan gum here and haven't received our online orders yet. Also only had regular shortening. Thanks again. It worked just fine with this recipe.)

Erin said...

Hi Becky, I'm so glad you had success! I keep making these for non-GFCF people and they keep telling me these cookies are better than regular sugar cookies. See, gluten free baking is not all that bad. You'll get used to it in no time! :)