Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Perfect GFCF Sandwich Bread


I love baking bread with Bean Flour Blend. The bread texture turns out light and slightly spongy.Contrary to what you might be inclined to think, the bread does not taste very "beany", although the taste is very intriguing - in a good way. I like slices of bean bread slightly warmed in the toaster, although it does not have to be toasted to taste good. Although I really like chickpea flour in my bread, every other flour blend I've tried in this recipe turns out great.

2 1/2 cups GF flour blend
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 tsp. salt
2 or 3 tbsp. flax seed meal, if desired
1 3/4 tsp. quick rise yeast (or 1 1/2 tsp. if using a bean flour blend)
2 large eggs
1 tsp. rice vinegar
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 cup warm water (plus a tbsp. or so more if using flax seed meal)

Sift together the flour mix, sugar, xanthan gum and salt, set aside.

Whisk together the water, eggs, canola oil and rice vinegar.

*For the bread machine, add the wet ingredients to the bottom of the pan. Add dry ingredients, covering the wet ingredients completely. Make a small well in the center and add the yeast. Set the bread machine to the gluten free setting and press start. I always help the bread mix with a spatula, and after it's done mixing I smooth out the top because the dough tends to dome in the center. After the bread has finished baking, remove immediately from the pan to a wire rack.

**To bake in the oven, mix the yeast in with the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients slowly while mixing and beat until blended. Scrape batter into a greased non-stick loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap, let rise 45 minutes or until it rises to the top of the pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Cover with tin foil if needed and bake another 15-20 minutes. The bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Turn bread out of loaf pan and cool completely on a wire rack.


***Gluten free breads are like batter breads, they don't need to be kneaded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This recipe works great in my Breadman Pro. For those using the Cuisinart Convection bread machine, making these adjustments will be helpful:

3 cups GF flour blend of your choice
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
2 or 3 tbsp. flax seed meal OR 1/3 - 1/2 cup walnut meal
2 tsp. quick rise yeast
2 large eggs
1 tsp. rice vinegar
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 1/4 cups warm water (plus a tbsp. or so more if using flax seed meal)

8 comments:

goodfountain said...

Great bread, Erin! Made it today (used your all purpose GF blend, didn't want to make up a new flour blend when I have so many going already...) Really like the texture and flavor.

I'm going to see if Charlotte will give it a try later!

Erin said...

Hi GF,
Glad you like the bread, I hope Charlotte likes it too. Has she come around at all yet? I made this bread just recently with an all purpose blend made with rice and sorghum flours and it turned out really good. I love the way you can throw almost any flour blend in there and it will turn out good. :)

Wayne said...

I also made this bread using the All Purpose GF flour from Barryfarm.com(mainly chickpeas). It came out great. Thank you. It slices really nice and does not break apart. And it toasts really well. My first loaf came out small because I didn't use the correct yeast. This has gone so well I would like to invest in a bread machine. Which do you recommend? Also, what do you think of the double bread machines. I am totally not familiar with these Thanks again. Wayne

Erin said...

Hi Wayne,
I'm glad your bread came out great! I love bread made with chickpea flour too - it makes excellent toast. As far as bread machines, I am not familiar with a double bread machine either. I have a Breadman Pro and I love it. You can find it an Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Breadman-TR875-2-Pound-Breadmaker-Stainless/dp/B000FZZ0VE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1253999163&sr=8-1
It's a workhorse and a really good investment!
erin

Virginia said...

I'm relatively new to the GF recipes and do not have a bread maker (as I was devoutly into handmade bread prior :) ). Can you tell me how to properly mix GF bread? Can it be overmixed? Should it be "mixed till blended"?

Erin said...

Hi Virginia,
Thanks for your comment. Since there is no gluten in the bread you don't have to worry about over-mixing too much. You will want to beat the batter, which will be thick, about 4 minutes on medium speed until the batter is smooth with no lumps.

I'm with you about the handmade bread. I do miss it, although I don't do it now for the sake of time. Making gluten free bread is different (no kneading, which I miss), but it's still nice to do with your hands instead of a bread machine. I like making this bread recipe by hand - it is satisfying in it's own different way: http://myaspergersgirl.blogspot.com/2009/03/gfcf-gluten-free-multi-grain-multi-seed.html

TK said...

Hi!

I realize that you aren't eating eggs these days, but please-please-please leave this recipe up! This is by far the best GF bread recipe I've ever tasted.

I've copied it three times because my hard copy keeps getting lost, shredded, drowned, coffee-ringed into oblivion, etc. I've finally given it a file on my computer, but it's nice to know that it exists in cyberspace.

Thanks!

TK

Erin said...

Hi TK, thanks for your comment! Don't worry, I'll leave this recipe up. I'm glad you like it. :)
erin