Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

GFCF Irish Soda Bread

Toasted soda bread makes a great breakfast. I've adapted my favorite soda bread recipe to be gluten and casein free. I've had this recipe for a long time. I can't remember where I got the recipe from - I've tried several soda bread recipes but this was my favorite because of the caraway in it. I really should commit the recipe to memory, because I will panic if I ever lose it.

2 cups GF flour blend (Sorghum and Chickpea or Rice and Chickpea)**
1 tsp. xanthan gum
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground caraway seed OR 2 tsp. whole caraway seeds
1/2 cup raisins or dried currants, if desired
1 cup rice mik

Sift together the dry ingredients. Add raisins or currants and toss to coat. Stir in rice milk with a fork. Pour batter into a greased soda bread dish* (greased with palm shortening).

(My soda bread dish)*

Flour your hands and then pat the dough into the dish evenly. Cut an X 1/4 inch deep into the center of the loaf with a sharp knife. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Transfer loaf to a wire rack to cool.

*If you don't have a soda bread dish, try using a small pie plate or an 8" cake pan.

**I like using Sorghum and Chickpea blend if using currants, and Rice and Chickpea blend if omitting the currants.

(Soda bread with currants)

(Soda bread without currants)

No comments: