Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Mom's Banana Bread


I remember this recipe being good, but my GFCF version is really, really good. I cannot believe how good this bread is after modification. It's hard to stop from scarfing up warm slices of it straight out of the oven. Yum. I'm honestly surprised that I think this GFCF version is actually better than the original. I'll ask my mom...maybe my tastes are changing!



2 cups All Purpose Sorghum Flour Blend or All Purpose Rice Flour Blend
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup palm shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup (2 medium) mashed bananas*
1 tbsp. vinegar in 1/2 cup rice milk

Sift flour blend, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, cream the shortening with the sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy. Add the bananas, mix well. Add the milk/vinegar mixture and stir well (mixture will look curdled). Add the flour mixture and beat well (until the large clumps disappear). Turn into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake about 50 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn bread out onto a wire rack to cool.

*When bananas are freckled and need to be used right away before going bad, I throw them into the freezer, whole. When a recipe calls for mashed bananas, I take two from the freezer and thaw them in their skins. Then I slit open the tops and squeeze the banana out and stir it into the batter as is...it breaks up nicely and does not need to be mashed. Very easy!

5 comments:

Holly said...

Fantastic! DH & our boys love it! Thanks!!
Holly

goodfountain said...

Picked up some palm shortening today and am going to make this either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'd like to make it tonight so we have "breakfast bread" in the morning.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Today I took the other loaf of carrot bread I made before we went on vacation out of the freezer and have been enjoying it. I need to try C to eat it again.

Erin said...

Good luck! I hope C likes it. :) I hope GF is going okay...let me know!

Anonymous said...

I made this in cupcakes yesterday my daughter loves them, thank you for sharing :)

Erin said...

Thanks for the comment - I'm glad your daughter likes them!