Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, April 4, 2008

Raisin Spice Cookies

I've modified this recipe from the back of an Arrowhead Mills bag of brown rice flour. It's really quite good. These cookies remind me of oatmeal cookies, and they are just fine without the oats.

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 beaten egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup potato flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnut meal, if desired

Beat together the sugar through the vanilla. Sift the flours through the cloves. Stir together the wet and dry ingredients until well mixed. Add the raisins and the walnut meal, if desired. Scoop teaspoonfuls and roll into balls. Roll balls in sugar and place on a greased baking sheet. Press tops of cookies to flatten slightly. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.

2 comments:

Jason Poll said...

I tried these this weekend. I was getting tired of making 'just the things we needed' to get through the week and decided we needed some cookies in this house.

How I picked this recipe is kinda funny, well, to me anyway. We were on our way back from a walk and I was telling Heather how I was thinking it'd be a good idea to buy some of those Bob's gluten free oats in order to make some oatmeal cookies. When you said these reminded you of oatmeal cookies, it didn't take me long to decide which recipe to make. :)

I'm not sure what happened, but the batter was really stick, and a bit too thin to form into balls. I'm wondering if my apple sauce was a little thin. I added a fair amount more brown rice flour (I'd guess at most 1/4 cup more,) and it finally got thick enough that I could dollop blobs into the sugar - still extremely sticky, though. After the balls got their coating of sugar, however, everything went great and the dough behaved. :)

Did I do something wrong, or are is the batter like that?

Regardless, these turned out great! The texture is almost like a sugar cookie (crumbly and light,) but like you said, they kinda taste like oatmeal cookies. Yum!

Noah definitely likes then. He scarfed a couple down and asked for more. :)

Erin said...

I'm glad you all like the cookies! The batter will be sticky. You can try adding 2 tbsp. of ground flax seed to the batter, which will help thicken it if the batter is too thin to roll into sugar. I end up dolloping spoonfuls of dough into a bowl of sugar and rolling it into balls that way. :)