Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, May 30, 2008

GFCF Graham Crackers

I found this recipe at In the Life of a Child. I only changed a couple of things about it, such as decreasing the amount of sugar, using coconut milk, and cutting the dough into squares with a knife. I also used less liquid than the recipe called for, until the dough was just sticky, and then kneaded the dough a few times before rolling - this eliminated the need to chill the dough and made it easy to work with. I was surprised and very happy to find that the end result tastes exactly like graham crackers! They look like graham crackers too, if you break one open and look at the crumb you'd never really know the difference between these and say, Honey Maid. The dough is a pleasure to work with, too - very forgiving and easy to handle, a lot like my pie crust. They smell great while they are baking. These crackers were fun to make and not as time-intensive as I thought they would be. Now my girls can enjoy s'mores again!

(For chocolate graham crackers, go here.)

1/3 cup palm shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup cornstarch
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup rice milk or coconut milk

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add the vanilla and mix well.

Sift together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture one cup at a time, blending well until all three cups have been incorporated and mixture looks like fine meal (I did this in my Kitchen Aid but you could also do this with a pastry blender or a food processor).

Add the rice milk or coconut milk a little at a time (in a small stream if using a Kitchen Aid or food processor and your hands are free). You might not need the whole 1/2 cup of liquid. Add just enough until the dough clumps together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. It should resemble cookie dough. It should not be very sticky.

Divide dough into thirds. Working with 1/3 of the dough at a time, knead a few times on floured wax paper (I used All Purpose Sorghum Blend for flouring). Roll dough into the shape of a rectangle to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Trim the edges to straighten. Cut the dough into squares with a knife. Transfer squares to a greased cookie sheet (you can use a floured spatula, or simply put your hand underneath the wax paper and flip the square onto your other hand and transfer that way - the dough is that easy to handle).

Prick each cracker 4-6 times with the tines of a fork and sprinkle with granulated sugar (cinnamon sugar would work well too). Bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

*If you overbake some crackers, don't worry - save them and use them to make a graham cracker pie crust.

**You can subsitute 1/4 cup honey for the brown sugar, just adjust the amount of milk as needed.

6 comments:

Childlife said...

Love your tweaks on the recipe, Erin, and thanks for the link!

I've added you to my reader and I'm linking your post back to my recipe -- so glad they turned out well for you! :)

-Michelle @ In The Life of A Child

Erin said...

Thank you! Your recipe is so great, I'm so happy to have found actual graham crackers that are a cinch to make and yummy too!

Jason Poll said...

I don't imagine "palm shortening" is the same as, "coconut oil" is it?

I haven't actually seen anything labeled "palm shortening" in our area (yet...I may just be looking in the wrong places.) I have seen plenty of tubs of white coconut oil though...but it turns to liquid at a very low temp, and if it ever warms up around here, it'd be liquid at room temp, almost!

I really want to make these, but would coconut oil even work?

Erin said...

I don't think they act the same. I tried coconut oil in cookies and they flattened really bad. You could try the coconut oil...put it in the fridge to firm up before using it. It may make the crackers extra crispy? If you try it, let me know how it works.

Jason Poll said...

Erin, I went to make this recipe this evening and I noticed the oven temp wasn't listed! I was going to just give it a try at 350F when I noticed that you linked "In the Life of a Child" which listed 350F as the temp.

I'll let you know how these turn out. :)

Erin said...

Whoops! Thanks for pointing that out...I edited the post. Let me know how your version with the coconut oil turns out!