Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Multi-Grain Sandwich Bread

Here I've modified a recipe Land O Lakes has for gluten free multi-grain bread. I modified their recipe for a multi-grain flour blend too, in order to use the flours I had on hand in my kitchen. I am very pleased with the results. The ground flaxseed in the bread (which adds protein, fiber, lignans and omega-3 fatty acids) gives the bread a hearty texture without making it heavy. It also gives the baked bread a texture very similar to whole grain wheat bread. This bread turned out very pretty - it rose nicely, it has a nice color, the crumb is not too dense or too moist, and it didn't cave in anywhere. It tastes good, too!

2 1/2 cups Multi-Grain Flour Blend
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
1 3/4 tsp. quick rise yeast
2 large eggs
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. cider or rice vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup warm rice milk or other dairy alternative, plus 1 tbsp. water

Sift together the flour blend, ground flaxseed, xanthan gum and salt, set aside.

Whisk together the rice milk, water, eggs, canola oil, honey and vinegar.

*For the bread machine, add the wet ingredients to the bottom of the pan. Add dry ingredients, covering the wet ingredients completely. Make a small well in the center and add the yeast. Set the bread machine to the gluten free setting and press start. I always help the bread mix with a spatula. After the bread has finished baking, remove immediately from the pan to a wire rack.

**To bake in the oven, mix the yeast in with the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients slowly while mixing and beat until blended. Scrape batter into a greased non-stick loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap, let rise 35-45 minutes or until it rises about 1/2" below the top of the pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Cover with tin foil if needed and bake another 15-20 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn bread out of loaf pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

7 comments:

Jason Poll said...

I've got this recipe in the bread machine right now. It smells great!

I think I made a boo-boo by using regular yeast...the bread hasn't risen as much as I would have hoped. Maybe it's also a matter of my standard bread machine? (It doesn't have a gluten-free setting - what does a gluten-free cycle do differently, anyway?)

Jason Poll said...

Omigosh! This bread is *delicious*! So much better than the bland recipe I got off the back of a rice flour package.

Thank you so much!

Erin said...

I'm so glad you like the bread! Definitely use quick-rising yeast/bread machine yeast for the bread machine. Also, help the bread machine mix the dough with a spatula. Gluten free breads are batter breads and the kneading paddle has a tendency to make the bottom part of the dough really smooth and the upper part not so much unless you help it mix well...I had a loaf come out bifurcated horizontally once (I ended up slicing that loaf, drying out the pieces, using them as breadcrumbs, and making a new loaf of bread).

A gluten setting on a bread machine is shorter by half but has along mix time. My setting takes 1:17 total and starts rising at 56 minutes so there is a lot of mixing time. The standard setting may also be why your bread didn't rise as much, the second knead cycle may have knocked the air out of your dough.

I got my Breadman Pro with a gluten free setting from Amazon for $80 and it's been a great investment. If you don't want to buy a new bread machine, try mixing your batter with an electric beater as described in the recipe, then put it in the bread machine pan and hit the bake cycle only, and see what happens. Let me know if you try it!

Thanks for your comment and I'm really glad you like the bread!

Jason Poll said...

A little over an hour! EXCELLENT! I can't wait until my wife and I buy a bread machine w/ a gluten-free setting. That's so much faster than the 3 hours we normally wait.

I'm wondering if we can use the "ExpressBake" setting on our machine - the cycle lasts only 1 hour and 20 minutes - it starts the rising after 20 minutes of mixing, allows the dough to rise for 18 minutes, and then bakes for the last 42 minutes.

I've made 3 loaves of bread this weekend, but I may to make one more just so I can try this. :)

Erin said...

That sounds like it might work!

goodfountain said...

Erin - made this bread today. Turned out perfectly. We love it. By we, I mean 3 out of 4 of us. Charlotte refuses to try it (but of course).

It's really good!!

Did I tell you I got my bread maker? I bought the Breadman Pro that you use. :)

Erin said...

Hi GF! I'm glad you like the bread. We love it. I hope C comes around soon. :) I love my Breadman Pro. It's a workhorse!