Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Brown Sugar Blueberry Muffins

So my BFF (Julie, you rock!) sent me this recipe for blueberry muffins that she found at Karina's Kitchen a few months ago (see the original recipe here). Julie's kids have so many food allergies it makes my head spin. She made a couple of modifications to suit her family and said the muffins were fabulous. Well I had a whole pint of blueberries kicking around the other day so I thought I'd try Julie's version and make a couple of modifications of my own while I was at it (because I just can't leave well enough alone). Happily, they turned out pretty darn fabulous for me too. Anna can't get enough of them - she's been eating them morning, noon and night since they came out of the oven! And really, there is no higher compliment for a muffin than that.

2 cups GF flour blend (I used Rice Flour Blend)
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 generous tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
scant 1/4 tsp. cloves

1/2 cup applesauce
2 tbsp. rice milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. grated orange peel
3/4 tsp. orange extract

1 generous cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and make a well in the center. In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients all at once into the well in the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until just combined. Fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling cups 2/3 full. Bake 20 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Cool muffins in pan for one minute before taking them out of the pan and putting them onto a wire rack to cool completely.

6 comments:

Karina said...

Your version sounds delicious. I love these muffins- and I'm glad they went over big with Anna! Thanks for the shout-out. :)

Erin said...

Thank you. I love the muffins almost as much as Anna does. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm new to GFCF baking. My daughter loves muffins, but every attempt I've made ends up with wet, mushy (seemingly undercooked)insides. Even if I leave them in the oven longer they don't cook through. Please help, these ingredients are expensive! and I've had to throw out a LOT of what I've tried to make. What could I be doing wrong??

Erin said...

Check your flours and make sure you are using potato starch flour, NOT potato flour. They are very different flours. It sounds like you may be using potato flour which will make your baked goods dense and undercooked. If this is not what is happening, leave me your email address (I won't post it) and I'll try to hash it out with you via email.
erin

Anonymous said...

Erin - that could very well be it!! Since tapioca "starch" and tapioca "flour" are one and the same (per the label) I assumed the same would be true for potato starch and potato flour. Thank you so much for this post!! I can't wait to try again!!

Erin said...

Happy to help! Good luck on the next batch.
erin