Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, June 27, 2008

Garlic Herb Sandwich Rolls


We are leaving in two days for a three day car trip. I'm packing all our food to bring with us for the road, and I really wanted sandwich rolls to bring with us (they are easier to pack and deal with than sandwich bread). I have a really good recipe for Garlic and Herb Parmesan Buns, and I really had to have some for the trip. So, I made some - leaving out the parmesan, the gluten, and the casein - you know, all that other stuff. I am happy to report that my GFCF version turned out really good! They made the whole house smell great while they baked.

2 1/2 cups GF flour blend (Rice Flour Blend orMulti Grain)
2 tbsp. ground flax seed
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. yeast (I used rapid rise)
1 cup warm water (about 120 degrees)
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin top tin (this will make 6 good sized sandwich rolls) and set aside.

Sift together the dry ingredients, including the yeast.

Whisk together the eggs, vinegar, oil and water. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and beat on low for 4 minutes. The batter should not be heavy or stiff, it should look smooth and feel light. Fill the tin with the batter in equal portions. Swirl the batter with the back of a spoon to shape the rolls.

Sprinkle rolls with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place free of drafts until doubled in size.

Remove plastic wrap and place in the oven. Bake about 20 minutes, or until tops are golden and bottoms are nicely browned.

Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Fill as desired - pictured below are rolls filled with hummus, thinly sliced cucumber, lettuce and alfalfa sprouts.

6 comments:

Childlife said...

These look fabulous, Erin! We just got back from a 4 day road trip, and yeah, the sandwich bread doesn't travel so well. :( We did get smart and pack it in tupperware boxes in the cooler this time, so it was much better. Hope your trip goes well!

Erin said...

Our trip did go well, thank you! The sandwich rolls, if made fresh the day before, will travel well for a day. After a day, they should be stored in the fridge or freezer, then taken out and lightly warmed. After three days of travel, they were really destined for bread crumbs. So I dried them out and whirred them in the food processor, and they turned out to be very excellent gluten free italian style breadcrumbs! :)

shell said...

these worked out beautifully with the flax seed as an egg replacement! (1 T ground flax + 3 T water) Yummy and held up well enough that they are going to camp this week!
Thanks!

Erin said...

Awesome, Shell! Thanks for letting me know!

renju said...

HI,I tried your bread recipe and came out delicious.my son loved it.Than you.How long can we store in the shelf?I am keeping the leftover in a ziploc bag.Any suggestions....

Erin said...

Hi renju, generally I leave my bread on the counter for two days before I store it in the refrigerator. Thanks for your comment, I'm glad your son likes the rolls!