Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, June 9, 2008

Mock Sweetened Condensed Milk

For the record, I have never liked baking with sweetened condensed milk. It's too sweet, and I never quite wanted to trust a milk that tasted like candy. So if I came across a recipe that called for sweetened condensed milk, I would go out of my way to search for a version of the recipe without it, or I wouldn't use the recipe at all. One exception is a recipe I had for Banana Cream Pie. I wanted to make it for the kids this weekend to test out my GFCF Graham Cracker Pie Crust. I found a GFCF mock sweetened condensed milk here at Stir of the Moment , but I didn't have the time or inclination to reduce two cans of coconut milk, so instead I used that recipe as a guide and tried sweetening and thickening one can of coconut milk to see what happened. It actually worked out well. I would not use this particular method for all recipes calling for sweetened condensed milk, but for Banana Cream Pie it turned out pretty good!

1 can coconut milk
dash vanilla extract
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch

Heat coconut milk and vanilla over low heat in a small saucepan. Stir together the sugar and cornstarch until well blended and whisk into the warm coconut milk. Heat, whisking constantly over medium heat, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and cool. This will thicken as it cools. Store in the refrigerator several hours or overnight, preferably making this the day before you need to use it.

No comments: