Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, June 9, 2008

UnSoy Sauce

I have this amazing recipe for Cold Noodles with Szechuan Dressing. I made it last month and gave it to Anna to see what would happen. Well, she got allergic shiners - whether from the soy or the wheat in the soy sauce I used (or both), I don't know. But I really don't want to give up this recipe. So I went on a quest to make a soy sauce alternative. I sort of cobbled together ideas from a couple of forums and here's what I came up with...surprisingly, it comes pretty darn close to tasting like soy sauce. Mind you, it's not as strong as the real thing, but this impostor came pretty close in color, taste and smell. I'm pleased, anyway!

¾ cup gluten free, soy free, casein free beef broth
2 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. molasses
1 tsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. red wine
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
dash white pepper
dash garlic powder
1/8 tsp. Chinese 5 spice powder
liberal dashes of salt to taste

Simmer all ingredients together over medium heat until reduced to about ½ cup.

4 comments:

VinageWine said...

I'm very excited to try this recipe, since I've recently been diagnosed as highly allergic to wheat, corn, soy, eggs, dairy, peanuts & yeast - there seem to be hardly any sauces that I can have!

I just have one question so that I can go shopping for my "Un-soy sauce" ingredients - what type of fish sauce do you use for this recipe?

Thanks so much!

VintageWine

VinageWine said...

I'm very excited to try this recipe, since I've recently been diagnosed as highly allergic to wheat, corn, soy, eggs, dairy, peanuts & yeast - there seem to be hardly any sauces that I can have!

I just have one question so that I can go shopping for my "Un-soy sauce" ingredients - what type of fish sauce do you use for this recipe?

Thanks so much!

VintageWine

Erin said...

Hi VintageWine,

welcome to the club! I use Thai Kitchen Fish Sauce. I can find it in Whole Foods and sometimes in Super Target. When using this sauce, consider adding a little hot chili oil to what you are making or to the sauce itself, it adds a little extra something.

If you are looking for another sauce you can have, try Vietnamese dipping sauce:

2 tbsp. fish sauce
3 tbsp. water
juice from 1/2 large fresh lime 1
minced clove garlic
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. chili garlic sauce
Stir until the sugar dissolves. I like this with spring rolls and on vermicelli rice pasta.

:) erin

VinageWine said...

Thanks so much, Erin!