Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, July 25, 2008

My Mom's Pumpkin Bread

My mom's recipe for pumpkin bread is the best ever. I've modified it slightly to use less sugar and oil (by way of adding applesauce) and made it gluten and casein free. I'm happy to report that it's just as fabulous as I remember! I made a loaf, 12 muffins and a tin of mini muffins with this recipe, and they all turned out great. My extended family, who are not gluten free, love it.

3 cups All Purpose Flour Blend (I used millet)
½ cup sorghum flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. cloves
2 ½ cups sugar
½ cup applesauce
½ cup canola oil
4 beaten eggs
1 can pumpkin puree
2/3 cup water


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans or 24 muffin tins with cooking spray, set aside.

Sift together the flour through the cloves, set aside.

Cream together the sugar, applesauce and canola oil. Beat in the eggs. Add the pumpkin puree and beat until well blended. Add the flour alternately with the water to the pumpkin mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 1 ½ hours for loaves or 20 minutes for muffins, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool loaves 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing to cool completely.

3 comments:

Childlife said...

Oh, I'm filing this one away for fall, Erin! Thanks so much for sharing it :)

Anonymous said...

If anyone could perfect something already "perfect," it would be you!
I'm glad you will still be able to use this recipe - think of me when you are making it!

Erin said...

Anonymom, I always think of you when I make your pumpkin bread! I think of you when I make lots of other recipes, too. :)