Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Cod and Potato Pancakes

I love these potato pancakes. They are so simple, and oh so good. This is my favorite way to eat cod. I can't remember where this recipe is from, probably from one of my mom's old beat up cookbooks. The original recipe calls for flour and butter, which I have substituted with rice flour and canola oil. They'd be good with applesauce but honestly, I can't wait that long to be so polite. As soon as the first few come off the frying pan I've got one flipping from hand to hand to help facilitate cooling, and then it's eaten steaming hot standing next to the stove while the rest of them cook. These little beauties are that good.

3/4 pound cod, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups grated raw potato (about 3 medium)
1 small finely chopped onion
2 tbsp. rice flour
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
canola oil for frying


Combine the cod through the onion. With a fork stir together the rice flour through the pepper and add to the cod mixture, stirring well. Heat canola oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Drop mixture into the skillet by tablespoonfuls, flattening into pancakes. Cook about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 250 degree oven until ready to serve (if they make it that long).

4 comments:

goodfountain said...

These sound soooo good. I'm going to make these very soon!

I'm assuming it's okay to use frozen (thawed) cod if the fresh is not available?

My daughters love anything that I call a pancake.

Erin said...

I think using previously frozen cod would be just fine!

goodfountain said...

Another question - cornstarch is not in the ingredients list but is in the cooking directions. Did you mean the rice flour?

Erin said...

Whoops, thanks for catching that. I originally used cornstarch but didn't like it to much - rice flour does better. It's fixed. :)