Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, August 22, 2008

GFCF Sandwich Wraps

I'm so excited! Did you hear me? I'M SO EXCITED! Seriously, seriously excited. We have been gluten and casein (and soy) free for months - but I've been cheating. I love sandwich wraps with a passion, so I've had a few here, and a few there. The problem with that is, the longer I'm GFCF, the more it hurts to cheat. I just can't do it anymore. And there is nothing, nothing gluten and casein free you can buy that replicates a good sandwich wrap. Those rice tortillas don't work, they split open and all the contents of your lunch spill out all over the plate. But these sandwich wraps are so awesome, they are flexible and they roll and they keep their contents to themselves. And what's even better than that is, they taste more than fabulous. They taste SO much better than those boring gluten-filled flour wraps ever tasted. I'm being serious. I've made both sun-dried tomato and spinach wraps and they are worlds tastier than the old, tired tomato or basil flour wraps that are sold in stores. And what's almost even better than the way these GFCF sandwich wraps taste is how easy they are to make! I think they take 10 minutes to prepare, 10 minutes to spread, then 10 minutes to bake...and in about a half an hour, you have enough sandwich wraps for 4 people, or 4 days if you don't want to share. And you might not...I would not blame you. They are that good. Anna likes them, however, so I share them.

I think various versions of gluten free sandwich wraps have been floating around for some time, but I chose to follow Gluten Free Gobsmacked's recipe as my guide. Most important, I kicked out the casein. I also played with the method, but you should check out the recipe that inspired me here.

If you want a plainer wrap, see here for an Herbed Sandwich Wrap.

Ingredients for Sun-Dried Tomato Wraps
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup quinoa flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
OR substitute 1 cup High Protein Flour Blend for the above flours
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 3/4 tsp. rapid rise yeast
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. dried minced onion, rehydrated
1 tbsp. olive oil
generous 1/3 cup purchased sun-dried tomato pesto OR fresh marinated tomatoes
1/2 - 3/4 cup water

Ingredients for Spinach Wraps
Follow the recipe above, except using these substitutes:
1 tsp. dried basil instead of oregano
1 minced clove garlic instead of dried onion
generous 1/3 cup Spinach Pesto instead of sun-dried tomato pesto

Method for GFCF Sandwich Wraps
Whisk together the dry ingredients up to and including the salt. Place in a food processor. Add the rehydrated onion (or minced garlic), olive oil and pesto. Turn the processor on and add 1/2 cup of water in a small stream. The mixture should look pretty wet. Wait a minute as it will firm up slightly, then add a little more water if needed to make the batter thin-ish, but not runny. As you will be smoothing the batter onto a cookie sheet with a spatula into a thin layer, take a bit of the batter between two fingers and feel it. If it feels like it will spread nicely with a little help with your spatula, you are done. The batter should look like this:


Now, line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Lightly spray the parchment paper with cooking spray. Divide the batter between the two cookie sheets. It should look like this:


Flatten the batter a bit, then spray lightly with cooking spray. Patiently spread the batter with a spatula into a thin rectangle. If the batter tears open into little holes or wants to come away on the spatula, spray the spatula with a little cooking spray and continue spreading.


You can trim the edges of the rectangle if you want, but it's not necessary. The edges will get a little brown and crispy anyway.


Bake wraps at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. They should look lightly browned but not crispy.

Now, this is fun: just take the wrap, lift it off of the parchment paper, and lay it on a wire rack to cool. It's very flexible, and it won't tear.


Cool and cut each wrap in half for 4 wraps. Store in a baggie on the counter for up to 3 days.

So far, my favorite wrap filling is Cilantro Pesto, deli turkey and spring greens. Yum!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wraps ever, I have been experimenting with bread mixes and flours for a soft wrap for over a year with no success. this is the easiest, best tasting, soft wrap ever:) THANKS, you made my life easier.

Jason Poll said...

Oh awesome!

Wraps from the local co-op have been my secret gluten 'snack' when Noah's not around. I will definitely be making these sometime soon.

Question: Are you baking the parchment paper as well? The text sounds like you are, "...lift it off of the parchment paper, and lay it on a wire rack to cool." but the picture of the tomato wrap in the baking sheet doesn't show any parchment paper.

Erin said...

Yes, bake the parchment paper. I had already tossed the parchment after baking before realizing I wanted to take a picture. There is parchment paper underneath the tomato wrap in the picture before it bakes. It won't burn. Parchment paper is great.

Jason Poll said...

Ok, I guess my next question is: Is parchment paper the same thing as waxed paper?

...definitely showing how much of a cooking-newbie I am.

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Parchment paper and wax paper are different. Parchment paper is not waxed. Wax paper is coated with wax, which will burn at oven temperatures. You can use wax paper if the batter covers the entire portion of paper - like in lining the bottom of a cake pan. But wax paper will smoke if it is not covered by batter. Parchment paper will not smoke, but trim it to fit your pan. There is a risk of it catching fire if it overhangs your pan.

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,

I went to great lengths yesterday to make quinoa flour for this recipe since none of our local stores had any. But this morning as I was pulling out all my ingredients I found that I had no Tapioca "starch" only Tapioca "flour" :( Can I use the flour instead? Or what can I replace the tapioca starch with?

Thanks!
Andrea L.

Erin said...

Tapioca starch and tapioca flour are the same thing...technically you can call it tapioca starch flour. So go ahead and use what you have!
Erin

Anonymous said...

Hi - so loved your s.d. tomatoe wraps!!! to die for. How do they freeze? And what kind of mixer do you use? I have an oldshcool moulinex which gave me a bit of trouble. Luv your blogs and recipes,
Ina from the westcoast, b.c. canada

Erin said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks! I love the wraps too. I have no idea how they freeze because they don't last that long! I imagine if you freeze them they'd be fine...I'd put them on a paper towel to thaw to soak up any excess water so they don't get soggy as they thaw. I use a Kitchen Aid, which I love! The thing is a workhorse!