Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Homemade Lemonade

Our weather here has been see-sawing between temps in the 60's to the 80's. People have been running around flaunting flip flops and tank tops one day in 85 degree heat, and then...psych! The next morning day it's 45 degrees. Soon the temps will even out and summer will be here. And what better way is there to welcome summer than with a glass of homemade lemonade?

1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup sugar
6 cups water
thinly sliced lemons for garnish
fresh sprigs of crushed lavender or mint, if desired, to play with the flavor a bit

Combine lemon juice and sugar, stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the water and stir to combine. Serve chilled with lemon slices for garnish.

*You can play with the amount of sugar and water to make it more sweet or more tart as you like. After years of tweaking, the above ratios have turned out to be my favorite.

2 comments:

Julie Tupper said...

I love this recipe. And, being the BFF, you shared it with me eons ago. Thank you, thank you! However, having little time [not that you have a lot, either] to squeeze my own lemons, I keep all natural lemon juice [in the big bottle] kicking around in my fridge to make this tasty treat. I know...cheating, right?! Sorry, Erin, I am just not going to squeeze my own lemons on a regular basis with the rate that my family cruises through this recipe! ;-)
My family basically pipelined this last summer! I have to make a 2 gallon container full, so that I am not making it every time I turn around! It might just be time to start making this again. Thanks for the reminder. You are SuperWoman! Love ya -J

Erin said...

2 gallons a pop?! Wow! Lemons go on sale regularly here, and I enlist the help of the girls, ha ha! But I like your natural lemon juice idea, I'll have to try that. YOU are Superwoman! Love ya!