Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Quinoa Tabbouleh


Lately I've been standing in the aisles of my local Whole Foods wistfully looking at boxes of tabbouleh mix or containers of pre-made tabbouleh, remembering the way it tastes and mourning its loss from my diet. Finally I decided that this sort of silliness needed to stop. So yesterday I made some homemade tabbouleh using quinoa in place of bulgar and it was really, really good. DH and I find that we both prefer quinoa tabbouleh to traditional tabbouleh in taste and texture. It is also a snap to prepare and extremely healthy, ensuring tabbouleh's renewed place in our diet. I used the recipe found here as my base.

2 cups water or vegetable broth

1 cup quinoa

1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered

1 cup pickling cucumbers or english hothouse cucumber, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1/4 cup chopped chives or 1 bunch chopped green onions

1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley

1/4 cup fresh chopped mint or cilantro*

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper or cayenne


Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the quinoa, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cool to room temperature.


In a large bowl combine the tomatoes through the mint or cilantro.* Add the cooled quinoa and toss. Whisk together the olive oil and remaining ingredients and pour over the quinoa mixture, tossing to coat thoroughly. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

*If you don't have fresh parsley, subtistute 2 tbsp. dried parsely. Also, if you don't have fresh mint or cilantro, increase the parsley a little bit.

2 comments:

goodfountain said...

Hi. I just wanted to say how much I love the recipes on your blog. I am new to the GFCF diet, and your recipes are the kind of meals that my family eats.

I just wrote down your recipes for chicken nuggets and plan to try one of the coatings tomorrow.

Your explanations of the various flours was very helpful too.

Thanks for posting so many great recipes. Keep it up!

Erin said...

Thanks so much! I just read your "optimistic" post and your daughter's reaction to the GFCF diet sounds a lot like my daughter's reaction to the diet. Anna was always healthy as a horse too and I was skeptical about the diet until someone told me that sometimes the immune system goes into overdrive in response to an invader, resulting in being really healthy! This whole adventure has been pretty mind blowing...but I can't argue with the results the diet has produced. Anyway, keep up with the diet, it sounds like it's doing awesome things for you!