Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Easy Crock Pot Chili with Vegetables

So I have a friend who introduced me to Frito Pie last month. Basically, it's Texas stadium food - take a one serving size bag of Fritos, slice open the top, pour in some chili, shake it up and eat it with a spoon out of the bag. I couldn't believe my ears when she told me about it, and then she decided to make some. Since then, I've taken every chance I can to indulge in a little Frito Pie...it's become my little guilty pleasure. And the best part is, it's gluten free! Here's a basic chili I make in the crock pot. You can serve it with Fritos (put some chili in a bowl and top it with Fritos instead of slitting open a Frito bag in your dining room) or serve with cornbread or french bread and a green salad.

1 pound lean ground chuck or ground turkey
1 cup chopped onion
1 small zucchini, seeded and diced
1 small yellow squash, seeded and diced
2 cans petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can chili beans, undrained OR 1 can pinto beans, drained plus 1/2 cup salsa
2- 3 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Brown ground chuck or ground turkey in a large skillet over medium heat, draining off the fat. Place into crock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low 5 - 6 hours or until the chili is bubbly. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments: