Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fresh Vegetable Spring Rolls


Here is another attempt at making spring rolls. I filled them with fresh vegetables - julienned cucumber and sweet orange pepper and slices of avocado (bean sprouts would also be a nice addition). I hope I'm not making anyone cringe with my version of a spring roll - I'm just loving their fresh taste and using whatever I have in the kitchen to make them (which right now is not much - I need to go shopping!). I found a recipe for the Vietnamese dipping sauce here.

2 tbsp. fish sauce

3 tbsp. water

juice from 1/2 large fresh lime 1
minced clove garlic

1 tbsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. chili garlic sauce


4 spring roll skins

2 ounces cooked rice vermicelli or mung bean threads
1 large pickling (salad) cucumber, julienned

1/3 sweet orange pepper or 1 carrot, julienned

1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced

4 sprigs fresh cilantro


For the sauce: Heat the fish sauce through the chili oil until the sugar is dissolved, set aside.

Dip spring roll skins one by one in a bowl of warm water until just beginning to soften. Layer on damp paper towels, set aside. The skins will continue to soften as you prepare the filling.

Divide the vegetables and vermicelli into 4 equal portions. Place 1/4 vegetables and vermicelli in the middle of a spring roll (I alternated dark and light colors). Top with a sprig of cilantro. Bring the top and bottom of the roll down about an inch and then roll from one side to the other. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve spring rolls with the dipping sauce on the side.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for your recipes! our daughter is 3 and on the GFCF diet --i just want to know, where do you get the spring roll wraps themselves??

also, her class is making pumpkin pie and i have to make a GFCF approximation --any ideas?

Erin said...

You're welcome, thanks for your comment. I got the spring rolls in the Asian section of my local grocery store. I love them! Also, see here for GFCF pumpkin pie: http://myaspergersgirl.blogspot.com/2008/10/gfcf-pumpkin-pie.html
erin

goodfountain said...

This is another recipe I'm going to try this weekend.

I'm also going to try your pumpkin pie. My mom asked me to do a trial run before bringing it on Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is going to be interesting. Chee is a lot more willing to try things than she was this time last year ... so I need to GFCF some of the things I think she'll eat. Or make a different *thing* all together. Like I always make a sweet potato souffle but perhaps this year we'll just go with a more traditional sweet potato dish. Or maybe both. She has never tried the souffle but she does eat sweet potatoes.

I'm rambling in the comments now. LOL I'll go away.

Erin said...

Thanksgiving will be interesting for my family too, it will be our first GFCF Thanksgiving. I might do a sweet potato pie this year. Your souffle sounds good, I've never done a souffle. Maybe we should trade recipes. :)