Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Nanny's German Potato Salad

This is my Nanny's recipe for German Potato Salad and of course, my very favorite.

6 white skinned potatoes

4 slices of bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh scallions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
dash salt and pepper

Wash potatoes and chop into 1 inch pieces. Cook in pot of boiling water and cool to room temperature. Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels but keep the bacon fat in the frying pan. Cook onion in bacon fat until soft. Chop bacon and add to the potatoes together with the onion, scallions, celery and parsley. Heat and simmer the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until the sugar dissolves. The longer you simmer the mixture the sweeter it will get - you don't want it to be too sweet (it should have a sweet bite). Pour the vinegar mixture over the potato mixture and toss. Prepare a couple of hours ahead of time and stir periodically - the potatoes will soak up the vinegar mixture. Serve at room temperature.

4 comments:

Urban Hippie said...

By the way, thanks so much for taking the time to post on your rad blog. It keeps on coming up as I try to prepare meals. I just found your taquito recipe when I was trying to figure out if Penzey's taco seasoning was GFCF... totally making that tomorrow!

Erin said...

Thanks so much! I love Penzey's Spices...I used to use their soup bases all the time since we do soup a lot, but can't anymore because their soup bases are not GFCF or soy free...so disappointing.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm. I remember this recipe. It was so good. (So was the Sauerbraten, but it takes a long time to prepare.) It's good with a few chives thrown on top.
Anonymom

Erin said...

Sauerbraten! Do you have that recipe? I need it!