Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

GFCF Meatballs

These meatballs are kid-friendly and both my girls will eat them. I'll admit to a little white lie ("Megan, these are cowboy burgers!" ...something they respond to and like. Fingers crossed behind back..."Oh, you like them?! Well I call them cowboy meatballs! Aren't they great?!"). The addition of the egg and tomato sauce makes them moist, an important consideration for little girls who does not like dry meat textures.

1 package ground turkey (about 1 1/4 pounds)
3/4 cup GFCF breadcrumbs*
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried thyme

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Shape into 1 inch balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through. My girls like these topped with Spinach Pesto.

*Take the ends off your GFCF sandwich bread and let them dry out for a day or two on your counter. Then whizz them in your food processor until you get crumbs.

7 comments:

GFCF Mommy Octopus AKA Hungry Mommy said...

Hey Erin,

I tried these out yesterday and LOOOOOOOOVED them! HPK will be eating these soon. My hubby and teen drooled over these!

A sure hit! I will be blogging about this recipe soon, if you don't mind.

Erin said...

Hi Mommy Octopus, I'm so glad you and yours liked the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if these might work with brown rice instead of bread crumbs? I'm GFCF and also insulin resistant & my naturopath doesn't want me to eat any processed flour foods.

Erin said...

If you can do potato flour, try a couple of tablespoons. Or almond flour. Or leftover mashed potatoes. Brown rice might work too, or quinoa. OR you can omit the eggs and the breadcrumbs altogether. I think you have a lot of options - play around and see what you like best!

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful! It's so hard to find new foods my son will eat but these were a hit! And as a bonus I can add pureed veggies and he doesn't even know they are there! I used a mix of beef and pork instead of turkey and they were delicious. Thanks for a great recipe. Baking them is so much easier than braising.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post. My son didn't like meatballs or hamburgers until he tried these. Now I make them weekly. Thanks again! Mom of an ASD son!!

Erin said...

I'm glad you like them! :)