Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins


I found this recipe while searching for pumpkin recipes (because you know I cannot get enough of pumpkin at this time of the year), here at Karina's Kitchen. I tweaked it just a little bit, and they came out really good - very moist and not the least bit crumbly. I served them with Leek and Bacon Quiche, and everyone loved them. They'd be good halved and grilled for breakfast, too.

3 large eggs

1/4 cup canola oil

1/4 cup applesauce

3/4 pumpkin puree
*
1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup GF flour blend (I used this one)

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 salt


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin cups (or coat with cooking spray), set aside.

In a large bowl, beat eggs until well combined. Add the oil, applesauce, pumpkin puree and brown sugar, beat well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cinnamon through the salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just smooth.


Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove muffins to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve warm.

*Try substituting sweet potato puree or butternut squash puree for the pumpkin puree.

2 comments:

hurricanetankersley said...

as I make this for the, geez, I couldn't tell you how many times I've made this recipe... just wanted to let you know that my kids LOVE this. Like, LOVE LOVE it. We like to eat it with chili (made with Penzey's chili 3000 or 9000 gives it a sweet touch that goes nicely) or Butternut Squash Soup, and today I'm making a roast that I've thrown the tiniest bit of brown sugar into. I usually just throw a bunch of Penzey's baking spice into the muffins, makes them gorgeously aromatic. So, thanks!

Erin said...

You're welcome, and thanks for the comment!