Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

GFCF Pumpkin Pie (My Mom's Pumpkin Pie)

There are few things better than homemade pumpkin pie. Actually, I love all things pumpkin. My husband dreads every autumn when I go into a pumpkin baking frenzy. There's something so fabulous about this humble orange squash, I just can't help it.  This is my mom's  pumpkin pie recipe (modified, of course, to be gluten-free and casein-free) and it's the only pumpkin pie I will make - it's the best. The molasses makes the pie dark...if that bothers you, substitute honey instead. I've substituted coconut milk for evaporated milk and happily, there is no hint of coconut taste in the finished pie.

1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 15 oz. can solid packed pumpkin)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. allspice
2 tbsp. molasses or honey
3 beaten eggs
1 cup lite coconut milk
pie pastry for single crust pie

Combine pumpkin puree through the molasses and stir to combine. Add the eggs and the coconut milk and blend well. Pour into a pie plate lined with pie pastry and bake at 425 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes, or until the center of the pie is set (the center will not jiggle when moved, and sides of the pie are puffy but not cracked). You can check with a butter knife - the knife should come up clean, but a crack will remain in your pie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was reading labels on various brands of Coconut milk in the store today. Guar Gum was in all but one of them. So, I am curious; is there a true soy allergy in your family or do you just try to avoid it? I am allergic to soy and almost everything I've read about soy allergy says to avoid guar gum. :( Whether or not I am reacting to tree nuts, oddly enough, is still up in the air. Do you think almond or nut milk could be used instead of coconut in pumpkin pie? Thanks!! :)

Erin said...

Hi Anonymous,
from what I understand, people who are allergic to soy may also be allergic to legumes. Soy is a legume. Guar gum is derived from a bean plant. So if there is a *legume* allergy, it would be wise to avoid guar gum. In my family we are sensitive to soy but are able to tolerate legumes. I've read that this is because in those with a dairy allergy (like us), soy protein mimics dairy protein so it's best for us to avoid soy as well, but not necessarily all legumes. My friend's son is highly allergic to soy and all legumes including guar gum. So for everybody it's different. You can find out how sensitive you are with an elimination diet, or you can see an allergist. But sometimes an elimination diet works best.

I have not tried it, but I think almond or hazelnut milk would work. It's not as thick as coconut milk so you might want to cut back a tad. But if you don't want to play, try this recipe here at Gluten Free Goddess:
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/10/vegan-pumpkin-pie-worthy-of.html

Her version uses hemp milk, and it looks excellent. I've always had good luck using her recipes.

Thanks for your comment, and good luck to you too,
erin