Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Shae's Black Bean Soup

Black Bean Soup with Coconut "Sour Cream"

My friend Shae makes the only black bean soup I have ever liked - Megan likes it too. Yesterday I asked him how to make it and he gave me a list of ingredients - add this, toss in some of that - you know, the Swedish Chef method. I love that. So I made his soup last night, omitting carrots and adding potato and lime juice to his recipe. He told me to add chipotle in adobo sauce, but didn't tell me how much. I threw in half a can, tasted the broth and nearly had to find a fire extinguisher for my mouth. I put the chipotles back in the can and estimated about 2 tsp. of adobo sauce remained in the soup. It worked out well in the end. Shae says don't add more than one or two chipotles, otherwise you risk SCHOD - Spicy Chile Hiccups of Doom.

1 pound dried black beans, soaked overnight in cold water  
6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth  
1 - 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced, or up to 1 tbsp. adobo sauce
3 chopped stalks celery
1 small onion, diced  
1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained  
1 medium russet potato, chopped  
2 tsp. ground cumin 
  1 tsp. dried oregano  
1 bay leaf
1 - 2 tsp. salt to taste  
3 tbsp. lime juice  
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro or more to taste

After soaking the beans in water overnight, drain and rinse. Cover them with water by about 2 inches and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender. Drain beans and put them in a crock pot.

To the beans add the chicken broth through the bay leaf. Stir, cover and let cook overnight (about 10-12 hours). Turn off the crock pot and let the soup cool a little bit. Discard the bay leaf.

Puree about half the soup in a blender (I pureed all the potatoes as well for a more silky texture. If you use chipotles, make sure to blend them too). Return the puree to the pot and stir. Add salt, lime juice and cilantro to taste. Serve hot with tortilla chips or if your soup is very thick, put some cooked rice in a bowl and pour some soup over top of the rice.

No comments: