Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Baking without Eggs

I bake with eggs (update - as of May 2010, this is no longer the case - I am now baking without eggs!). However, I've fielded a few questions as to what to use to replace eggs in baked goods. So I'm going to post here the different kinds of egg substitutes that can be used in baking, and set this list aside in my notebook for future reference. My girls have a very low IgE reaction to eggs and if that has risen at all since their last tests, we'll be going egg free as well. It's always good to be prepared, just in case.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Egg substitutes work well when replacing one or two eggs in a recipe. If you try replacing more than two eggs, the integrity of the baked good may suffer. Also keep in mind that nothing quite does the same trick that eggs do, so be prepared for a baked good that is a little denser than you are used to. You may also need to play around a bit - some subs work well in some recipes but may make others gummy.

I have compiled a list (below) of different egg substitutes for baking. All the replacements listed below are equal to 1 whole egg. Double the amounts given if you are replacing two eggs.

Ener-G Egg Replacer is a commercial egg substitute that I choose not to use. However if you choose to use it, simply follow the package directions for replacing eggs.

For cakes:
1 tbsp. ground flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp. warm water, blend until thickened. Also try adding 1/8 tsp. baking powder to this mixture.

For cookies:
1/4 tsp. baking soda + 1/4 cup applesauce

1/4 cup maple syrup, and decrease the amount of sugar in the recipe by 1/4 - 1/2 cup.

For pancakes, waffles, muffins and quick breads:
1/2 a large mashed banana + 1/4 tsp. baking powder

3 tbsp. applesauce, fruit butter or other fruit puree + 1/4 tsp. baking powder

Other substitutions:
In addition to replacing the egg in a recipe, try adding an extra 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. baking powder per egg if not in the egg replacer you are using (limit to a total of 1 tsp. leavening per cup of flour). Also try lightening the baked good by adding air (cream together the sugar and shortening in a recipe until light and fluffy before adding dry ingredients) - although some baked goods do much better with canola oil than shortening when made egg-free.

1 tsp. unflavored gelatin dissolved in 1 tbsp. warm water. Add 2 tbsp. boiling water, beat until frothy.

1 tbsp. cornstarch or arrowroot + 3 tbsp. water

3 tbsp. egg-free mayonnaise

1 tsp. yeast dissolved in 3 tbsp. warm water

1 tbsp. cornstarch or arrowroot + 2 tbsp. water + 2 tsp. canola oil + 1/2 tsp. baking powder

2 tbsp. warm water + 1 tbsp. potato starch or tapioca starch + 1/2 tbsp. shortening + 3/4 tsp. baking powder

2 tbsp. water + 1 tbsp. canola oil + 2 tsp. baking powder

For those who can use soy:
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup pureed silken tofu

My favorite egg substitutes happen to be fruit purees, gelatin, flax meal and maple syrup or honey with a little extra leavening thrown in for good measure.

My sources (for more great tips, visit these sites below!):
The Cooking Inn
Fitness and Freebies
The Cook's Thesaurus
About.com
Pioneer Thinking

I recommend:
Gluten Free Goddess - 2/3 of the way down this particular page read about replacing the fat in the egg with a little bit of oil, using rice milk instead of water for more nutrition, and being wary of using a fruit puree to replace egg in a recipe that already has fruit puree in it.

Also, see here for more tips from Karina on baking substitutions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been using recipe's (and making my own tweaks as well) for months now after finding out my son is highly sensitive to gluten and casein. It has been so helpful. We just did more testing and found out he is also quite sensitive to eggs and I want to thank you SO MUCH for this post. It has pretty much all the information I feel I need to start down an egg free diet as well. He is sensitive to so many foods but egg was a big one and this really helps me feel much more at ease over the huge amount of work I have ahead of me in the coming weeks trying to deal with all these sensitivities. So thank you!

Erin said...

You are welcome! Thanks for your comment. Check out this gelatin egg substitute too - dissolve 1 package of gelatin in 1 cup of boiling water. 3 tbsp. = 1 egg. It works great with sandwich bread!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I plan on picking some of that up next time I go to the store. We don't really do sandwich bread (never found a substitute we really liked, but we try again every now and then) but we do a lot of muffins and quick breads (your zucchini bread is a top favorite at our house), do you think the gelatin would work in those?

Erin said...

I think muffins and quick bread would do better with flax seed. I just did an applesauce quick bread with flax seed and it came out great. I will post ASAP now that I know you are looking for these types of recipes. I don't know about the zucchini bread yet, I need to look at it first, and then play with it. It's hard to replace 3 eggs and keep the integrity of the item, but I'm crossing my fingers because that is one of our favorites too.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately for us, he tested sensitive to flax as well so that sub is out. I'm hoping that since the recipe makes 2 loaves that 3 eggs won't be too big a deal. I'll try some different things and see what works. I am determined to find a way to keep making zucchini bread. Both my boys AND my husband destroy both loaves within a day or so unless I freeze some or hide it :).