Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, December 8, 2008

Jolly Jam Bars


This is a recipe from one of my old tattered recipe cards. It came from one of my mom's old tattered recipe cards. I always did like this recipe, it's a good one for kids. So I made it for my girls, not thinking DH would be too impressed (especially after the conversion to being gluten, casein and soy free). Well, he was impressed. He tasted it and unsolicited, exclaimed "Wow, these are really good!". And Anna, well, she just inhaled her piece. This recipe is a keeper.

1 cup
shortening/ghee blend
1 cup sugar

2 egg yolks
2 cups GF flour blend (I used
this one)
1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 cup walnut meal

1/2 cup raspberry jam


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9x9x2 inch baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.


Cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, beat until well combined. Sift together the flour through the walnut meal and add to the egg mixture, blending well.


Divide the dough in half. Press one half of the dough onto the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Top with the jam, spreading evenly. Cover the jam with the remaining dough - I do this by taking small chunks and flattening them in the palms of my hands, then laying them on the jam layer. It's easy to take small pieces and fill in the gaps, and while it bakes the dough will come together so that there are not cracks or openings in the top crust.
Bake about 45 minutes or until the top is golden. Cool and cut into bars.

No comments: