Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mushroom Spring Rolls

This recipe is based on the one I found here. I used mushrooms instead of ground pork and liked the result. They are good soft, but I also wanted to try them crispy. I tried baking the spring rolls at a high temperature (per the original recipe) to get them crispy without frying them and this failed miserably. They turned out gummy, not crispy at all. If you want crispy spring rolls, you need to fry them - which is what I ended up doing after all, to DH's delight.

8 0z baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and diced

1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup shredded carrot
3 scallions, thinly sliced
3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp. sake
1 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
2 tsp grated ginger root
2 small cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
12 rice paper wrappers

Dip rice paper one by one in a bowl of warm water until just beginning to soften. Layer on damp paper towels, set aside. The rice paper will continue to soften as you prepare the filling.

Toss together the mushrooms through the garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling onto one side of a rice paper wrapper. Bring the top and bottom of the paper down to cover the filling, then roll from one side to the other. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

Serve spring rolls as is with sweet chili sauce on the side (this is the way I like them).

Or fry the spring rolls (this is the way my husband likes them): Heat oil to 375 degrees. Combine a tablespoon of cornstarch and a tablespoon of water, brush the seams of the spring rolls with this mixture to seal them. Let dry before frying. When the oil is hot, fry spring rolls one or two at a time until crispy, turning in the hot oil as needed. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with sweet chili sauce on the side.

6 comments:

Fresh and Feisty said...

Could you be more specific as to what you mean by spring roll skins? It sounds like you're using rice paper wrappers but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Erin said...

Oh yes, that is what I mean! Sorry about that. I'll go back and change the recipe, thanks for letting me know it was confusing.

Fresh and Feisty said...

It was clear after I followed the link to the original recipe :) I guess I didn't know what I refer to as rice paper wrappers (which can have tapioca in them) were the same as spring roll wrappers. I always use them for Summer Rolls so I've never fried them. Thanks for the recipe!

Erin said...

Oh boy, now here is where I feel like a hack. I always call them spring rolls, whether they are fried or un-fried, but I guess that's not the case! I just started making these recently. I'm going to look up some summer roll recipes now. Thanks!

Fresh and Feisty said...

Here's the recipe for one of my favorite meats in summer rolls. I'm sure you could adapt it to your family's needs:

Honey Ginger Chicken (Fine Cooking June/Jul '05)

2 T fish sauce
2 T finely chopped fresh ginger
1 T soy sauce
1 T honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 lb boneless chicken breast
2 T oil

Mix everything except the oil. Marinate 15-20 min. Cook over medium heat in oil. ( I cook it down until all the liquid is absorbed, maybe even slightly carmelized.) Cool for summer rolls.


We use this with basil, the noodles, lettuce, cucumber, etc. Then I dip them in the Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce):

2 T finely chopped garlic
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp chile-garlic sauce
6 T fish sauce
1/4 c. fresh lime juice
6 T water

Combine the garlic, sugar, and chile-garlic sauce in large mortar and mash to paste (I dont' have a mortar so I just use a french knife on the cutting board with the sugar and garlic). Scrape into small bowl and add fish sauce, lime juice, and water. Whisk until sugar dissolves.

I love these and my husband tolerates them. Not sure about the gluten-free and soy-free part. I haven't made them since I've been trying to be "good."

Erin said...

Wow, thanks! That sounds really good, I will try it soon. Everything's good except the soy sauce. I can make some mock soy sauce, but I might try subbing white wine or sake first to see how that works. Thanks again!