Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mock Peanut Blossoms

Hershey's Kisses on top of peanut butter cookies have always screamed "holidays" to me, so I really wanted to make them for my kids. Making the substitutions was easy enough - except for the Hershey's Kisses. So I ended up buying "safe" dark chocolate (Baker's semi-sweet), melted it, and poured it into a chocolate mold. This is messier than it sounds, and I'm not a fan of candy-making. But the results came out pretty and my girls were very impressed by the chocolate hearts sitting on top of the cashew butter cookies. I think this is their favorite holiday cookie so far.


1 package Baker's semi-sweet chocolate squares
1/2 cup palm shortening

3/4 cup cashew butter

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 egg

2 tbsp. rice milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups GF flour blend (I used this one)

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 tsp. salt

sugar for coating


Place chocolate squares in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir chocolate until melted and smooth. Pour chocolate into a plastic baggie. Snip off a corner of the baggie and pipe chocolate into a chocolate mold. Cool chocolate completely (about 30 minutes in the refrigerator). When cool, pop chocolate out of the mold and set aside.*


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift together the flour, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt, set aside.


In a large bowl, beat the shortening and cashew butter until combined. Add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg, rice milk and vanilla, beat well. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar.

Place cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake cookies about 10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately place chocolate pieces on top of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool (the chocolate will take awhile to cool completely).

*I had some leftover melted chocolate after filling the chocolate molds...what better excuse is there to make Stuffed Pecans?

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Erin,

They look delicious. I can't wait to make some of my own.

Cheryl said...

What a great idea, pouring the chocolate into molds! I'll have to try that, my son is allergic to dairy and I have difficulty finding "special" chocolate for him.

Natalie said...

I have to try this! Thanks!