Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Polenta with Eggs

Today a friend treated me to breakfast. A couple of days ago she asked if I would like polenta with eggs (in all it's gluten free goodness) for breakfast. I said - yum! I've never made polenta. It's just not a northeast kind of food (not where I'm from, anyway). I've had polenta with mushrooms for dinner once before (made by another friend, and very delicious). But polenta with eggs sounded very homey, and right up my alley.

So I watched as she made it. She sauteed some scallions in a little oil, added boiling chicken broth and yellow grits and stirred for a few minutes. While it thickened, she more or less poached a few eggs. And she served it just like that.

Honestly, with just a little bit of salt, this breakfast was near heaven. I put my egg on top of the polenta and broke the yoke on top of it. The yolk soaked into the polenta below and lo, it was good. I'm going to go out and buy grits straight away tomorrow morning and make this dish first chance I get for DH this weekend.

1 cup Arrowhead Mills Yellow Corn Grits
1/2 bunch scallions, white and pale green parts chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 1/2 cups water or chicken stock
1 tsp. salt
eggs - however many you want

Saute scallions in a bit of olive oil until fragrant.Add the water or stock and bring to a boil. Add the grits. Simmer until the grits begin to thicken. Add more broth as necessary. Simmer it about 15 minutes stirring frequently, until it looks like thick hot cereal, then remove from the heat.

While the polenta simmers, cook up your eggs over-easy or sunny-side up. Spoon some polenta onto a plate. It should not look glumpy or thick, but not runny either. Really it should look like lava...spreading out a little bit on the plate, but not thin enough to spread very far. It should smell fabulous and buttery rich, although there is no butter in it at all. Top the polenta with your egg. Sprinkle with salt, serve, and enjoy.

Save the leftover polenta in a container. It will thicken up a lot - you can slice it and fry it up later and serve it sort of like a finger food. You can top it with meat sauce, or drizzle honey over it, or whatever your heart desires...I'm sure it will be all good.

2 comments:

justagirl said...

Hi there, I just found your blog looking for others with an interest in Aspergers. My 14 year old daughter is an Aspie, so I'm always looking to connect with others facing the same struggles. The polenta sounds great! Have a great day! :)

Erin said...

Thank you! ASD is an interest and a way of life too, I suppose. :)