Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, December 22, 2008

Russian Tea Cookies


This recipe is from one of those ubiquitous church cookbooks - as I cut it out and pasted it onto an index card, I can't remember it's origin. But it's just like the cookies my Nanny used to serve at Christmas time, so I like them. The girls like them too.

1 cup palm shortening or shortening/ghee blend
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups GF flour blend (I used this one)
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup walnut or pecan meal

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Beat together the shortening, sugar and vanilla until thoroughly blended. Sift together the flour through the salt. Add to the shortening mixture and mix well. Stir in the nuts.

With floured hands roll dough into 1 inch balls (add a little bit more flour if the dough is too sticky - it should feel tacky, not dry). Place on an ungreased baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake about 10 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool 2 minutes.

While still warm, roll the cookies in powdered sugar. Place on a wire rack to cool. When they are cool, sift a little more powdered sugar over the cookies. Store in an airtight container.

4 comments:

Fresh and Feisty said...

Is palm shortening a different consistency than Crisco or would Crisco work in place in your recipes? Thanks! You must be baking like crazy :)

Erin said...

Palm shortening is Crisco without the soybean oil! So go ahead and use Crisco, it will be fine. And would you believe, I'm actually taking it easy this year and not baking as much as I normally would! :)

Fresh and Feisty said...

Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying a bunch of these recipes but not likely this week. I'm in Salem Oregon, and we are receiving a lot of snow and ice. This is not normal for us!

Erin said...

Oooh, I'm jealous. I miss the snow! It's been pretty cold in Dallas this week, though - baking helps warm up the house! Happy Holidays to you!
Erin