Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Spicy Potato Curry

DH handed me this recipe on a piece of paper one day after week a couple of weeks ago. He told me one of his colleagues told him we would really like it (Abby, you were right - this is soooo yummy!). I modified the original recipe a little bit to make it less spicy, and it was still very spicy (too spicy for me, but not for DH or Megan!). Next time I'll cut back even more on the cayenne pepper so I can have more than just a little bit of it without having my mouth turn to fire (perhaps to Megan's chagrin, but I can add more cayenne to her dish if she likes!). This dish is fast and easy to make and has entered our rotation of favorite recipes.

1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed OR 1 1/2 cups cauliflower
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, depending on your taste
2 tsp. garam masala
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. minced ginger
1 14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15oz can garbanzo beans, drained AND/OR 1/2 package thawed frozen spinach
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 14oz can coconut milk (I used lite, but regular will make it extra creamy)

Cook potatoes (or cauliflower) in boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the ginger, toss and cook for 1 minute. Toss together the cumin through the salt and add to the onion mixture, stirring to coat. Add the tomatoes, garbanzo beans and/or spinach, peas, coconut milk and potatoes and simmer until hot. Serve over rice or cooked cooked quinoa (I prefer the quinoa).

*Fresh ginger root is best, but if you can't find it (like I often can't), try The Ginger People's Grated Ginger, a pantry essential!

~~~~~~~~~~~Update 12/19/08~~~~~~~~~~~
I LOVE this recipe. It's a kitchen sink recipe! Tonight I made it with cauliflower instead of potatoes, chopped spinach instead of garbanzo beans, less cayenne (1/4 tsp.), and served it over a bed of quinoa instead of rice. It was fabulous!

2 comments:

shell said...

Thank you for the recipe - it was delicious! We had it with the cauliflower. I have been GF for years and now all 4 of my kids are GFCF - your website is a gift!
Thank you thank you!

Erin said...

Thanks Shell! I'm glad you like the recipe!