Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Spinach with Chickpeas

This recipe is one of the reasons I keep a package of frozen chopped spinach in the freezer at all times. Usually I prefer using fresh spinach, but when the day has been busy and I have no time to think about dinner (or when I am just plain tired and don't feel like cooking), I reach for this recipe. It takes just minutes to prepare, it hits the spot, and it's healthy to boot. Well, I usually like to cook up dried chickpeas too but the canned ones work in a pinch. It's healthier than take-out, anyway!

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium chopped onion
3 - 4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. dry white wine
1 can drained chick peas
1 thawed 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach
rice or gluten free pasta to serve

Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-low heat. Cook the onion in the hot oil until soft. Add the garlic, cook one minute more. Stir together the cayenne through the paprika and add it to the onion mixture in the pot. Toss to coat. Add the white wine, cook 1 minute. Add the chickpeas and the spinach (preferably squeezed dry, but I often throw it in there as is and let the liquid cook out, which takes just a couple of minutes). Cook until heated through and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot over rice or pasta.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just stumbled upon your blog and your recipes are awesome!!!!!! I can't wait to try them over this winter break (I am a first grade teacher). Anyhoodle, I have a 5 year old son with autism and we have been GFCF since Valentine's Day 2008. I have learned to adapt many recipes for him and myself (I have IBS and his diet has helped me tremendously). My NT teen daughter and husband have not really adapted to the GFCF diet like I have.

One of the things that I haven't made for him since going GFCF is mexican hot chocolate. I use the AhLaska brand for him often---but really miss being able to give him a specific brand. I feel like such a dork--because the answer should be sooooo obvious.

It is the Ibarra chocolate brand and the ingredients are listed as follows:

sugar, cacao nibs, soy lecithin (emulsifier), and cinnamon flavor.

I am almost sure that it would be considered GFCF, but wanted to make sure and/or get additional input.

Thanks a bunch,
Lupita

Erin said...

Hi Lupita, thanks for stopping by! We have also been GFCF since February 2008. As far as the mexican hot chocolate, the ingredients look good to me. There are also several recipes you can try for homemade mexican hot chocolate, using unsweetened chocolate, sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon, if you are inclined! I've actually never had mexican hot chocolate...I need to try some. :)