Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Casein Free, Soy Free, Gluten Free Cheese (Galaxy Rice Vegan)

(Look, it melts! Grilled Cheese and Tuna!)

Update: Check out ANOTHER (Daiya's!) casein free, soy free, gluten free cheese here and here!

This morning at Whole Foods I picked up a package of Galaxy Vegan Rice Cheese, American flavor. Galaxy is the only brand I can find that makes a cheese alternative without casein, soy or gluten. It's expensive, but after a year of no cheese I thought it'd be worth it to try finding a tolerable cheese treat for the girls. We tried the Cheddar flavor about a year ago and it was terrible - nobody would eat it. But I asked Megan today if she would like to try a "safe" cheese, figuring if she was desperate enough she'd go for it. She practically fell over herself with excitement and said "yes"!We got home and I gave Megan half a piece of cheese. I tried a bit of it before giving it to her and I have to say, it's really not that bad. The texture is a little different, but the taste is pretty okay. She tasted the cheese and then without further ado, she stuffed that half piece in her mouth, grabbed the other half piece and stuffed that in her mouth, and then implored me for more. (Think of Beavis saying "fire, fire, fire!", and then imagine Megan with a mouthful of cheese saying "Cheese! Cheese! Cheese!".) I guess it's a hit! Since this cheese even melts, I promised to make her some grilled cheese for lunch - she was so happy she was even in the mood to share with her stuffed cat.

11 comments:

Fresh and Feisty said...

I'll have to try that. I used to eat their cheddar shreds but I thought it had casein in it. Thanks for the info!

Erin said...

Some of their stuff does have casein in it! So far the only soy and casein free cheese they make, that I know of, are their slices (American, Cheddar or Pepper). You need to look for the declaration on the package that says soy and casein free.

Anonymous said...

We too were fooled by the blue package with casein in it. We are GFCFsoyfree for my son with PDD. Has anyone tried the Sheese brand of products? Still looking for other alternatives. Butter alternatives as well.

Erin said...

I have not seen Sheese products. To replace butter in baked goods, I use palm shortening. Sometimes I add a little bit of casein free ghee to give it a slight buttery flavor. Other times I'll use coconut oil. It's hard to find things that are casein AND soy free.

Anonymous said...

A great ounce-for-ounce substitution of butter is grapeseed oil. Depending on the recipe, it can even take on a butter flavour. For recipes with grapeseed oil, check out the blog elenaspantry.com. It is amazing! She's Gluten-free, not exclusively dairy-free, but most of her recipes are dairy-free or easy to convert. She also has links to other amazing GF &/or CF blogs.

jessica said...

Hi! I read here a lot(thank you!)and I wanted to add that there is a gfcf soy free butter made by Earth Balance and it is as good as any real butter I've had. Really! We eat it on everything! They sell it at whole foods.

Erin said...

Hi Jessica, thanks for your comment. We love the Earth Balance soy free margarine! My girls love it on everything too. :)

Anonymous said...

Whe I read how your little girl begged for more cheese I went "AWWWW". I relate, I was imagining the cheese in my mouth, mmmmmm.I know I'm not suppose to have milk because I use to get real pannicky and desperate just thinking that I was going to go without milk. I thought it strange that I acted like an addict and than later found out that it turned into a form of heroine for me in my body.

Dana

Anonymous said...

Please try Daiya cheese. It is casein free and comes shredded which can be frozen, which makes it easier to manange the kitchen.
They just recently came out with block cheeses like Havarti, Jack style, pepper jack. I took the Jack style, and put in food processor, it balled up like bread dough, then rolled this into a log and put dried cranberries and almonds on it.This made me so happy at our Christmas party, I felt so spoiled! The Havarti I processed also, and put in a mold then used a rolling pin, and it will be base for cocktail sauce and crabmeat for another party. :)

Erin said...

Thanks Anonymous, I have tried Daiya (wrote about it in a different post). I adore Daiya and the wedges are too fabulous for words! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm allergic to pea protein as well. Heh, guess I'm S.O.L. unless I use just nutritional yeast, right? (, I ask with some bitter frustration tainting my otherwise lighthearted tone.)