Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

GFCF Herbed Sandwich Wraps

The other day I made tomato GFCF Sandwich Wraps. They tasted amazing, but I was thinking that a wrap that could handle a mustard dressing would be nice. I looked to Gluten Free Gobsmacked for inspiration on how to use the herbs here. I was a little unsure of how it this trial would work without the added 1/3 cup tomatoes (or pesto). The first batch I made was too thick. It was a pain in the rear to spread onto the baking sheet and it kept tearing. The end result was good, but too thick. I tried it again, using more water. At first it looked soupy and I thought I had added too much. But after a minute the dough firmed up and the end result was easily spreadable. The wraps ended up being even more flexible than I thought they might be, and they tasted great with a mustard, lettuce and turkey filling. Now I have three wrap recipes under my belt to choose from. Variety is the spice of life!

1/4 cup rice flour OR sorghum flour

1/4 cup chickpea flour OR quinoa flour

1/4 cup potato starch flour

1/4 cup tapioca starch flour

1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 3/4 tsp. yeast

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. dried basil

1 tsp. dried oregano

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/2 cup water

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. vinegar


Whisk together the dry ingredients up to and including the pepper. Place in a food processor. Add the olive oil and vinegar. Turn the processor on and add 1/2 cup of water in a small stream. The mixture will look soupy - do not be alarmed. Wait a minute as it will firm up a bit. Take a bit of the batter between two fingers and feel it. If it feels like it will spread nicely with a little help with your spatula, you are done. Add a little more water if necessary.

Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Lightly spray the parchment paper with cooking spray. Divide the batter between the two cookie sheets.

Flatten the batter a bit, then spray lightly with cooking spray. Patiently spread the batter with a spatula into a thin rectangle. If the batter tears open into little holes or wants to come away on the spatula, spray the spatula with a little cooking spray and continue spreading. Get it as thin as you can without it tearing. It should not be too thin (too thin is when you can see the parchment paper underneath the dough) or it will get crispy when baked.

Bake wraps at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. They should look lightly browned around the edges. Lift the wrap up and if it looks golden brown on the bottom, it is done.

Remove the wrap from the oven. Take the wrap, lift it off of the parchment paper, and lay it on a wire rack to cool. Cut each wrap in half for 4 wraps. Store in a baggie on the counter for up to 3 days.

*I like the rice and chickpea combination best, but sorghum and quinoa flours are great too. Cut back on the water and/or add a little more flour at the end to help thicken the dough. Sorghum and quinoa will absorb less than rice and chickpea.

9 comments:

GFCF Mommy Octopus said...

I have a question for you but didn't know how to contact you other than attempting a comment. I would love your input on dishwashing. I know, you're scratching your head at that. Can you please read my latest post? Our dishwasher broke and I'm wondering how other GFCF households handle dishes.

Thanks a bunch!

Erin said...

No problemo, chica. Next time, leave a comment with your email address. I won't publish it, but I will email you. I left a comment for you - good luck!

Thomas Dzomba said...

Hi Erin! Just discovered you thanks to GFCF Mommy Octopus, and I am glad I did! These wraps look great, and I am looking forward to getting to know your blog better!

Thomas

Erin said...

Hi Thomas! Thanks, and welcome!

Homeopath said...

Just found your blog..... Interesting.....I’ll be back to read more.

GFCF Mommy Octopus said...

Thank you Erin!

GFCF Mommy Octopus

Terina said...

I just did wraps today and while tried and true, they are getting kinda boring! I'm excited to try these.

Mandi said...

I made this last night, but mine did NOT spread. I would have needed to add a lot more water for it to spread like your picture. Given, I don't have a food processor so I used my hand mixer instead - do you think that could have been the problem? Anyway, because of the dough thickness, I was only able to make one instead of two, and it was pretty thick so instead of a wrap I used it as a pizza crust and made some awesome pizza! We all loved it ... but I'd still like to be able to have a wrap. Any suggestions?

Erin said...

Awesome idea about the pizza! Try adding more water, to the point where it looks like it might be too runny. Then let it sit for a minute and it will firm up a little bit. Then spread it with a wet spatula OR with wet hands - I think spreading with your hands helps it get thinner. If you add too much water, add a little flour a tablespoon at a time. Does that help? I also recommend trying my other wraps first - they have extra liquid from pesto that helps them spread - it's easier to make one of those first to get an idea of how they should look, feel and spread. Then try the herbed one again.