Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Kitchen Sink Fried Rice

I've tried several versions of fried rice over the years. Each time I tried, it seemed to lack "oomph". DH was never really impressed. There's been some leftover rice in the fridge for a couple of days and I thought I'd try again. I looked up another fried rice recipe and then decided to deviate from it. I wanted it to be a little interesting...it needed some zip.

What I'm posting here is not authentic, but it is interesting and hopefully accessible too. I like the idea of throwing this together with whatever is available in the refrigerator, so the ingredients below are just a guide. I don't care for eggs in my rice, so I didn't put any in...but you do what you want. This recipe is loosely based on the one that can be found here.


2 tbsp. hot chili sesame oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. grated ginger
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 cup packed fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup grated carrots*
1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple, if desired*
3 cups cold cooked rice
1/4 cup wheat-free soy sauce (or UnSoy Sauce for soy-free folks)

Heat sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and toss for a couple of minutes, until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and ginger, toss for another minute. Add the chicken and peas, toss for another minute. Add the spinach and toss until wilted. Add the grated carrots, rice and soy sauce, toss until the rice turns brown and the dish is heated through. Adjust hot chili oil to taste, if desired. Serve hot.

*I did not use pineapple in the dish I made today...or grated carrots (but next time I will!). Instead I used 1/2 cup drained Hell of a Relish (a sweet-hot carrot relish) to add a slightly sweet, spicy zing to the dish.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I love your combinations of vegetables. I love Fried Rice for this reason - you can mix it up in different way. The hot chili sesame oil sounds good in it too.

Erin said...

Thanks, Cathy!