Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Broccoli Salad

Whole Foods makes a really good broccoli salad available in their to-go section. I sometimes pine for it, but only rarely indulge as it's fairly expensive. This recipe comes pretty close to theirs - now I can make it at home for much less whenever the mood strikes. The recipe I used as my guide can be found here. My measurements are approximate - toss together what seems appropriate to you and adjust to your taste.

4 slices of bacon
2 good-sized heads of broccoli, crown only
3 tbsp. diced red onion or 4 sliced scallions
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or chopped walnuts)
1/4 cup dried currants
1/4 cup shredded carrot, if desired
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. I try to remove as much fat as possible. Crumble the bacon and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the mayo, sugar and vinegar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved - the dressing should be thin but not watery. Adjust the sugar and/or vinegar as needed to suit your taste - it should be tangy with a hint of sweetness.

Wash the broccoli and cut the florets into bite-sized chunks. Add the broccoli to the dressing and toss to coat. Add the remaining ingredients - the onion, walnuts or sunflower seeds, currants and carrots if desired. Toss to coat thoroughly. Let sit for a little while before serving to let the flavors mellow a bit, tossing occasionally. Toss before serving - this is good cold or at room temperature.

1 comment:

goodfountain said...

Broccoli salad is one of my favorites. Costco has one often, but I don't think year-round.

I have never made my own, never even bothered to look up a recipe, but I have to go to a party in a couple of weeks and bring a salad. Hmm, I may do this. It's been awhile since I had a broccoli salad fix. :)