Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Butterscotch Pudding

This pudding is not heavy on the butterscotch - it tastes light (although it's not). The original recipe (here) is by Cooking Light, but I torpedoed the low-fat part of it. I used lite coconut milk to replace the dairy, but regular coconut milk would be nice too. I'm just not going to worry about the fat content in the recipe - since going dairy free my girls don't get enough fat in their diets as it is. (Looking for a vegan pudding? Go here.)

2 tbsp.
casein free ghee*
1/4 cup regular coconut milk

1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. brown sugar

2 cups lite coconut milk*
3/4 cup regular coconut milk

3 tbsp. cornstarch

1/8 tsp. salt

3 large egg yolks

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


Melt the ghee in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the 1/4 cup coconut milk and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and continue boiling for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.

Heat the lite coconut milk in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles form around the edges. Do not boil. Remove from the heat.


Whisk together the 3/4 cup coconut milk, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks. Gradually add the hot coconut milk in a small stream, whisking constantly. Stir this mixture into the brown sugar mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.


Pour the pudding into 6 individual serving cups. Cover the pudding with saran wrap to prevent a skin from forming on top. Chill in the refrigerator until set.**


~~~~~~~~~~~
*I used 1 tbsp. canola oil and 1 tbsp. ghee, but next time I'll use all ghee. I also only had 2 cans of lite coconut milk in the cupboard so that's what I used, and added a little rice milk to make up the difference. This was fine, but coconut milk will make it thicker and more velvety so that's what I'll do next time.


**I'll be honest, I didn't wait for this to chill - I poured warm butterscotch pudding over sliced strawberries, and it was divine.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Oooh...I made a pudding the other night very similar to this. I had totally forgotten what homemade pudding tasted like. I heaped the warm pudding on top of cupcakes, then drizzled the tops with melted dark chocolate. YUM! I appreciate food so much more now than I ever did before, and it's hard to feel deprived with desserts like this!

Erin said...

Oh wow, that sounds yummy! I will need to try that. And I agree with appreciating food more now - everything tastes so much better!