Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Indian Spiced Lentil Soup

Every time I make lentils, I think of Neil from The Young Ones. That has nothing to do with this soup at all, I just wanted to mention that lentils conjure an image of Neil in my mind.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 minced cloves garlic
6 - 8 cups water
2 cups lentils
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. sweet or hot curry powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. lemon juice

Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook until the onion is soft. Add the garlic, cook 1 minute more. Add the water and the lentils. Combine the coriander through the cayenne and stir into the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Turn off the heat. Stir in the lemon juice, adjust the seasonings as desired and serve hot.

2 comments:

GFCF Mommy Octopus said...

The Young Ones! Bwahaha. I swear you are like my long lost cousin.

I have so many of your recipes to catch up on. When I am done moving and unpacking, your recipes will be the first I will be cooking and baking at the "new" house. I can't wait!

Erin said...

Hi Mommy Octopus, thanks and I hope your move went well!