Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Mom's Zucchini Bread


My mom's recipe for zucchini bread is the best ever. I've cut back on both the fat and the sugar by substituting a little applesauce, and of course I've kicked out the gluten from her original recipe. It tastes even better than I remember!

3 beaten eggs
2/3 cup canola oil

1/3 cup applesauce

1 3/4 cup sugar


3 cups GF flour blend (I used
this one)
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 cup walnut meal

2 cups grated zucchini


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two loaf pans, set aside.

Combine the eggs, oil and applesauce until well blended. Add the sugar and stir until combined.

Whisk together the flour through the baking powder. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat until well blended. Fold in the walnut meal and zucchini. Pour into the prepared loaf pans. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

10 comments:

Tony and Julee Huy said...

Is there a good substitute for the walnut meal? We don't do nuts here...

Erin said...

Try 2 tbsp. flax seed meal instead of the nuts - sift the flax seed meal together with the dry ingredients before adding the wet ingredients.

martinekjs said...

This is by far the best gluten free zucchini bread recipe I've tried. My family loved it! My husband is not gluten free and even he said he could easily eat this bread anytime. My rating is a five star!

Erin said...

Thanks! I'm so glad your family likes it! :)

Rae Dawn said...

Erin, thank you for this wonderful recipe. I made muffins last night (baking them 25 minutes and using the flax seed substitution). They are amazing. My four year old gobbled them up. My husband, who usually shuns gfcf food, even thought they were great. I sent them to school with my 4 year old for snack time today. Most moms send yogurt and crackers and my little one is left out. So thank you for helping me to find something special for him to share with his friends.

Erin said...

Hi Rae Dawn, thanks for your comment. I'm so glad your family likes the zucchini bread...we love it too. My husband is not GFCF either, and he loves this bread. :)

Anonymous said...

What is the purpose of walnut meal? Is it really necessary? I like walnuts but that's one ingredient I haven't seen. If I were to omit this how would it turn out?

Thanks!
Holly

Erin said...

The walnut meal is not necessary. You can substitute flax meal instead (add 2 tbsp. flax meal to dry ingredients) or add a little more flour blend (4 tbsp.). It should turn out fine.

Scott said...

Hi Erin.

Thanks for the recipe! I've been making GF zucchini bread several ways, never quite capturing the taste and texture I was looking for. Until your recipe caught my eye! Very good in both flavor and texture. I have a blog, too. scottseasygf.blogspot.com. Please visit sometime. My family has experienced some of the same issues I am sure you have...ASD. It's just part of the journey. Thanks!!

Peace
-Scott

Erin said...

Thanks, Scott! I happen to think my mom's (modified!) zucchini bread is the best ever, I'm glad you like it too. I just visited your site...I'll have to try your version of Rice Crispy Treats soon!