Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Mom's Carrot Bread

This is one of my mom's recipes. It's old and tattered now. I copied it years ago from one of her old and tattered recipe cards. Even after making it GFCF friendly, it remains my favorite carrot bread recipe. This makes two loaves of bread - I always freeze one of them to enjoy later.

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar

3/4 cup canola oil

1/2 cup applesauce
3 cups GF flour blend (I used this one)

2 tsp. baking powder

1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1/4 tsp. salt

2 tsp. cinnamon

2 cups finely shredded carrot

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two loaf pans with cooking spray, set aside.


Beat together the eggs through the applesauce, set aside.


Sift together the flour through the cinnamon. Add to the egg mixture and beat until well blended. Fold in the carrots. Turn into the prepared loaf pans. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans 5 minutes, then turn onto wire racks to cool completely.

4 comments:

goodfountain said...

Made this today. Verrry good. Never had carrot bread before, but I love carrot cake, so figured to give it a try. I think when making it again, I'll raisins.

The only problem with the bread was that CHARLOTTE wouldn't eat. She took barely a nibble and spit it out. So I know she didn't even really taste it. The rest of us liked it a lot.

Charlotte started to get curious about it later in the day, so maybe she'll try it for reals.

Next going to try banana bread. I'm looking for some breakfast-y foods as we're to remove Gluten again.

Erin said...

I like raisins in this bread too, but the girls won't eat them. I don't call this carrot bread, either - it's breakfast bread. My girls LOVE the banana bread. I hope Charlotte tries this particular bread...maybe some semantics would work? Autumn bread? Harvest bread? Scarecrow bread? Halloween bread? Good luck!

Have you tried GF before? Some kids take a couple of weeks to come up to speed and try the different stuff. After I took Megan off of dairy, she refused any substitutes for two straight weeks (and they were a long two weeks)!

goodfountain said...

Yes, we did GF last year for about 3 months, but we removed all 29 things on the list AND did a rotation diet and it was just so flippin' hard. We stuck with Peanut and Soy free and then re-added dairy. NOW we're going to eliminate the REST of casein and also Gluten. We are NOT doing rotation so it should be much easier.

Not sure how long to go before knowing whether it has a GI effect. How long did it take for your family?

Erin said...

Hmmm....the GI effect may have taken a month. There was a lot to normalize for us. I'd give it three months, but I think we saw changes in one...it may have been as soon as two weeks, but as the matter is a little delicate, I didn't keep records other than we started to feel great! For me, I felt so good after two months that any time I cheated with a pizza, I felt it the next day and for three days after! With Anna, I could tell from her sensory seeking, general bad attitude and dark circles under her eyes within 4 days of an infraction. The GI may have been sooner than that but at the time I was not looking for it. Sorry I can't bee too much more specific...but for me even now it takes at least a week to normalize after an infraction. Maybe two.