Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Shawerma Dressing

There is a mediterranean grill in town that makes a most excellent chicken shawerma. A shawerma is meat slow-roasted on a skewer. Pieces of cooked meat (chicken, beef or lamb) are sliced off with a sharp knife and served with pickles, tomatoes and a garlic dressing. A shawerma sandwich is the meat all wrapped up in a pita with pickles, lettuce and tomatoes and the dip is served on the side. It's a heavenly dish, and one of my favorite take-out treats. Of course, I don't get the sandwich, just the meat and the dip on the side. It must be fine, because I don't react to it. But it is expensive.

So tonight I made a simple crock pot chicken dinner (4 pound chicken, cook in crock pot on high for 4 hours), with baked sweet potato fries (toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, flip and bake another 15 minutes, and drizzle lime juice over top before serving) and steamed broccoli. The chicken was plain and I was searching for something interesting to do with it...make a gravy to go with it? Turn it into a fricassee? And then I happened upon a chicken with a yogurt-garlic dip recipe that sounded a lot like the garlic dip that comes with the shawerma that I love. I subbed mayo for the yogurt (which is actually what the restaurant does) and behold - I had a shawerma dip! Yum!

Sorry there are not pictures of this - the dish turned out so good that it was eaten before I could break out the camera. The dip went well as a dip for slices of plain cooked chicken and sweet potato fries. Next time, I may actually try a real chicken shawerma recipe. For now, just having the dip part of it is great!

1/2 cup mayo
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced (I used 5 small cloves)

Combine all ingredients and adjust lemon juice, salt and garlic to taste. Serve with chicken, beef or lamb...or vegetables...or as a dressing for sandwiches...this dip is really versatile.

No comments: