Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, May 11, 2009

(Gluten-Free, Casein-Free, Soy-Free) Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies

The other day I ran across a recipe for 36 Hour Chocolate Chip Cookies at Gluten Free Girl. Boy, did they look good. And I loved that there was amaranth flour in the recipe. Amaranth is high in fiber, protein, calcium, iron and vitamin C (for nutritional content see here) and if you combine it with rice or corn flours, you get a complete protein as high in food value as fish, poultry and red meat (see here). If I find a recipe with amaranth flour in it, then I want to try it.

I fully intended to make the cookie dough and stick it in the refrigerator for at least a day before baking, as suggested by the original recipe. But the girls had been without cookies for a few days already and I couldn't hold off the poor dears any longer. I whipped up the dough and baked the cookies right then and there. And they ended up being more than super delicious - these are easily the best chocolate chip cookies I have eaten in my life. The girls ate one in silence and then immediately asked for another (they would have eaten the whole batch if I had let them!). Four other taste-testers immediately demanded the recipe after trying these cookies. Well, here it is (by way of Gluten Free Girl and modified slightly by yours truly).

I think it's the margarine in this recipe that makes these cookies even better than my old recipe. I used a kosher soy-free margarine, but Earth Balance now has a dairy-free, soy-free margarine that will work too. Go ahead and refrigerate the dough before baking if you please (read the reasons for doing so here) - it supposedly makes the end product drier and more crisp. I like my cookies chewy and soft so I won't be refrigerating my dough. To each his (or her) own!


1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour
1/2 cup potato starch flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
scant 1 cup (8 oz) dairy free, soy free margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
10 ounces dairy free, soy free chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Sift together the sorghum flour through the salt, set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and the sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg, beat well. Add the vanilla and beat to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides as necessary. This will take a bit of work if you do it by hand - don't worry if it looks dry at first, it will come together and look perfect in a minute. You don't want the mixture to be too wet, or the cookies will flatten out and get crisp in the oven. (If you like flat, crispy cookies, then increase the margarine to a generous 1 cup.)

Fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by generous teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake about 12 minutes, or until the bottoms and edges of the cookies are very lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 30 seconds before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Erin,

Great recipe! You are a GF-CF-SF genius :-) I used ground flaxseed with water to sub. for the egg and it worked perfectly. It was really great to meet you the other day.

Erin said...

Thanks, Jennifer! I'm so happy to hear the egg sub worked out great, thanks for letting me know! It was great meeting you the other day too. :)

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks great, but I also cannot use potato starch, and don't care for margarine. Does the earth balance butter substitute work OK?
And what should I use instead of the potato starch?
Annette

Erin said...

Hi Annette,
Earth Balance makes a dairy free, soy free margarine that is very good. You could also use palm shortening instead. Also, you can replace potato starch with either corn starch or arrowroot starch. Hope that helps,
erin