Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, May 1, 2009

Marinated Rice

Okay - this rice dish is so good I could eat it plain, all by itself, with nothing else to accompany it. It's supposed to go with Cuban Black Bean Soup, and I did indeed serve the rice with the soup, but the rice is a great stand-alone dish as it is. I've never really cared for rice too much, but I really like it prepared this way. The original recipe for the rice can be found here.

1 cup long-grain brown rice
2 cups water
1 tsp. olive oil
pinch salt
1 1/2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
4 large scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
1 tsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

Bring water, olive oil and pinch of salt to a boil. Add the rice. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and cool to room temperature.

Combine the diced tomatoes, scallions, olive oil and vinegar. Pour over the rice and toss well. Serve at room temperature. This is a good accompaniment to Cuban Black Bean Soup.

2 comments:

goodfountain said...

Making this tonight and serving with marinated orange roughy.

Kids unlikely will eat the rice, but that's okay. Me and hubby love brown rice. I like recipes like this where I have everything I need right there. :) I'll let you know what we think.

Erin said...

I hope you like it! My kids won't eat rice either...they'll come around someday. :)