Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Moroccan Soup (Vegan)

I found this recipe by Brittany Rice in a magazine recently. The sweet and savory elements in the soup intrigued me but I was not sure how I'd like it. So I invited some guests over (they are such wonderful test subjects) - if I didn't end up liking the soup then at least I would not have a whole pot of it left sitting around. Well everybody ended up loving the soup! In fact, to my slight chagrin, there was not much left over at all. I will just have to make it again.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped

2 leeks, halved and thinly sliced - white and pale green parts only
1 tbsp. minced ginger root

4 large basil leaves, chopped

1/2 cup dried apricots, minced

1/2 cup dried figs, minced
1/4 cup dried prunes,minced
1 package baby bella mushrooms - cleaned, stemmed and chopped

2 tbsp. ground cumin

1 tbsp. ground coriander

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup dry white wine

4 cups vegetable stock

1 can coconut milk

1 can black beans, drained

1 can chick peas, drained


Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, leek, ginger and basil, cook 2 minutes. Add dried fruit and mushrooms, cook 5 minutes. Add spices, cook 1 minute. Add the wine and the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, let reduce slightly for 30 minutes. Add the coconut milk, black beans and chick peas. Simmer another hour. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve warm. Serves 4 - 6.

No comments: