Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Socca (Chickpea Flat Bread)

I recently ran across a recipe for chickpea flat bread, also known as Socca. I made it, thinking it would be something like foccacia but I was wrong (the recipe advised baking it in a pan in the oven which threw me off). I didn't like it too much. There was too much going on with the recipe - garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, salt. I might like it if the recipe were more simple. So I did some searching and found a simple recipe here that looked good. I tried it, and I liked it.

Apparently there is some argument over the way socca should be made...only with a certain kind of besan flour and a certain kind of olive oil and a certain copper pan and a certain kind of wood-fired oven to be truly authentic. But I'm not trying to be authentic, I'm just trying to feed my family good food. This is good food. I chose Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour and extra virgin olive oil. I cooked the flat bread in cast iron skillets. The end result should be crispy on the outside and softer on the inside, and it's good hot right out of the skillet, plain just the way it is without further ado!

I tried two cooking methods - one on the stovetop and one in the oven. I like the stovetop version better as the flat bread gets a little crispier that way. Also, it's going to be too hot to turn on the oven soon...anything I can make without turning on the oven in the summertime is a plus!


1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup water

2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper


Combine the chickpea flour and the water, whisking well until smooth. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside while you prepare your skillet.


Method #1
Heat two 8 inch cast iron skillets over medium heat. Pour in 1 tbsp. olive oil into each pan and swirl to distribute. Divide the batter between the two pans (about 1 cup batter each), swirling the batter as needed to distribute evenly. Cook about 10 minutes or until bottoms are crispy brown. Flip and cook on the other side until crispy. Remove to a plate and let cool for 1 minute. Cut into wedges and serve hot, seasoned with salt and pepper as desired. For a thicker flat bread, use one 10 inch cast iron skillet.

Method #2

Place two 8 inch skillets (or one 10 inch casat iron skillet) in the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Take hot skillets out of the oven. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to each, swirl to distribute. Divide batter between the pans (or pour all into one 10 inch skillet for a thicker flat bread) and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan. Return to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. Broil for 1 minute if desired to crisp the top slightly. Remove from the oven and transfer to a plate. Let cool one minute. Cut into wedges and serve hot. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

No comments: