Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

No Bake Cookies

When DH and I were first married, we lived in an apartment on the third floor of a family's house. We were boarders, I guess. We had no kitchen, and although we were invited to use the family's kitchen downstairs for cooking and washing dishes, I felt a little funny about invading their space. So I bought a little two-burner stove thing for the countertop and we made meals using that, a crock pot, and an electric skillet. I occasionally baked using the oven downstairs, but I ran across this recipe for No Bake Cookies (from my mom's stash of recipes) and I ended up making them often.

It's funny how little life can change even after many years. A decade later, we have two kids and an oven, but our kitchen is almost as small as that one we had upstairs when we were first married. I do a lot of cooking in the crock pot. Sometimes I wish we had an electric skillet, too, but there's no space for one. And I'm hauling out this recipe again to try to beat the heat of summer while satisfying the sweet-toothed children in the house.

The original recipe called for 3 cups of oats. We can't do oats, so I substituted quinoa flakes, buckwheat cereal and walnut meal and it tastes just the same as I remember it. (If you can do oats, feel free to substitute 3 cups of gluten free oats for the quinoa flakes, buckwheat and walnut meal.)

I like the crunchy texture the buckwheat gives to these cookies and so does Anna! I'm excited to report that these cookies are Anna-approved - she inhaled two within the space of a heartbeat and then asked for more. I'm especially excited about having found quinoa flakes. I've finally found a way to get quinoa into my kids!


No Bake Cookies
1/2 cup dairy free, soy free margarine, such as Earth Balance*
1/2 cup rice milk or other dairy free, soy free milk alternative
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups quinoa flakes
1/2 cup cream of buckwheat hot cereal, uncooked
1/2 cup walnut meal
6 tbsp. cocoa powder
powdered sugar for coating

In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the dry buckwheat hot cereal over medium heat, stirring often, until light brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool.

In a medium pot, stir together the margarine, rice milk and sugars. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for one minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Stir together the quinoa flakes, toasted buckwheat, walnut meal and cocoa powder. Pour this into the wet ingredients in the pot and stir until well-blended. Set aside for about 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.

Sift about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar into a medium bowl. With wet fingers to keep the cookies from sticking to you, form a rounded teaspoons of batter into a ball and roll to coat evenly in the powdered sugar. Shake off excess sugar and place cookie onto a piece of waxed paper. Repeat until all the dough has been used. Place cookies in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

*Although I have not tried this, I think these cookies would do well with 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup applesauce in place of the margarine. I'll try that next time.

**I may also try adding 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips to the cookies.

Update 6/5/09 - I just ran across another recipe for GFCF No Bake Cookies here that has peanut butter as an ingredient. That sounds good! Next time I'll play around with my recipe and add some cashew butter to the cookies.

No comments: