Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Julie's Egg Free Banana Bread


My BFF has a son who is allergic to everything. Really, it's the truth. His allergies manifest as asthma, hives, swelling, horrible eczema...he has an Epipen that goes with him everywhere. His allergy list is: wheat, gluten (including oats, barley and rye), soy, peanuts, tree nuts, seeds, all legumes (beans! peas! yes they make his hands turn blue!), eggs, pineapple and possibly corn and/or rice (elimination diet to commence soon!). He is also allergic to grasses, tree pollen, cats and dogs. But he is the happiest little guy. He never complains or whines about stuff he can't have, and he's always happy about the stuff he can have. So it's a pleasure (and a challenge!) to cook for him. My BFF swears by her egg free banana bread - she simply replaces the eggs with more bananas. I wanted to try this because I had a hard time imagining this bread as anything other than dense and gummy. I should not have doubted her - this bread is fabulous. It's so good that it's hard to keep away from it!

So this recipe is simply My Mom's Banana Bread, replacing each egg with a banana and adding 1/2 tsp. baking powder to the dry mix. I also replaced the shortening with canola oil. I baked it in four small bread pans but it's fine in one 9x5 bread pan too. It will take a little longer to bake and you must let it cool completely before slicing it. If you don't wait and slice it while it's warm, it will gum up on you. But if you wait you will be rewarded with the best tasting banana bread ever. I think I might use this recipe often, even though my own kids don't need to be egg free - they love it!

1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 tbsp. lemon juice in 1/2 cup rice milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 4 small or 1 large loaf pans, set aside.

Sift flour blend, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder and salt, set aside.

In a large bowl combine the canola oil and the sugar. Add the mashed bananas and stir well. Add the milk/lemon juice mixture and stir well. Add the flour mixture and beat until the large clumps disappear. Turn into prepared loaf pan(s). Depending on the size of your loaf pans, bake 45 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

3 comments:

Charisse R said...

Hello, my daughter and I are new to being gluten, dairy, corn, egg,& sugar free. I made this tonight as she has missed her "treats". She loved it! Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your recipies. We will definitely be trying more!

Unknown said...

Hi Erin, thought you should know I have this recipe bookmarked and make it regularly. I usually make a quadruple batch and freeze leftovers to pull out occasionally for snack time. I make it sans sugar; the bananas are so flavorful! Thank you for a great gluten free, egg free recipe! ~Bekah

Erin said...

Thanks, Bekah. I make this recipe all the time too, it's our favorite breakfast! :) I will have to try using no sugar next time!