Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sweet Potato Salad


I made this dish on a whim this past weekend, not knowing whether I'd like it. I prefer sweet potatoes roasted and plainly dressed with just a bit of salt and pepper and sometimes a drizzle of lime juice. I'm not fond of sweet potatoes gussied up too much, especially when they are prepared on the sweet side. Just the thought of sweet potatoes mashed with brown sugar and topped with marshmallows makes me cringe. But this dish (a doctored Living Without recipe) for a savory sweet potato salad caught my eye. I like it so much that I think it will become my go-to recipe for potato salad from now on - I like it much better than plain old white potato salad. And sweet potatoes are so good for you! The flavors improve and the cider vinegar bite mellows after sitting over night in the refrigerator, so make this the day before you want to serve it.

4 medium/large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup onion, diced
6 slices cooked bacon, fat trimmed and diced
scant 1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. dried dill or 1 tsp. fresh dill
2 tsp. dried parsley or 1 tbsp. fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and spread onto a greased baking sheet. Bake 30 - 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven, set aside and cool.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the sweet potatoes and toss to coat well. Adjust seasonings to taste. Refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.

No comments: