Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chicken and Bean Burrito Filling

I found this recipe on the back of a package of phyllo dough. Don't worry, I made it sans phyllo dough. I modified it slightly, and I thought it was really good. I'm not sure whether this is because I was hungry and made it after cooking glutenous foods I couldn't eat for my sister-in-law for 10 hours straight, or whether it was totally fabulous in its own right. But I will definitely make it again - it's easy to throw together, fast and likely to please the kids. You can enjoy it rolled up in a rice tortilla but it'd be good with chips or crackers too.

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large chicken breast, cooked and diced
1 can refried beans, stirred
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and green pepper and cook until soft. Add the tomato and garlic and cook until the tomoato just softens. Add the chicken, refried beans, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper and stir to blend well. Heat through and taste to adjust seasonings. Serve warm as you like, but seriously it's good plain and eaten with a spoon.

No comments: