Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Vegetable Beef Soup with Rice

Summer is fast coming to a close and school will be in session in just two weeks. It's hard to feel sad about this, even after returning from vacation. The start of school is the signal that autumn is just around the corner, and autumn is my favorite time of year. I love everything about autumn...the colors, the smells, the foods, the nip in the air. There's something about it that makes me feel more alive. So I made this soup to welcome autumn into my kitchen ...to me this soup looks, feels and tastes like the beginning of autumn. I'm glad it's almost here.

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped red pepper or carrot (or both)
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
3 cups beef broth (plus more if needed)
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup brown rice

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion through the garlic and cook until the onion is just soft. Add the beef and stir to brown. Add the oregano through the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover and simmer 45 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Adjust seasonings as needed and serve hot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm crazy about autumn, too! I can't wait for jacket weather, butternut squash soup... Get my e-mail address from Laurie R. and e-mail me and I'll e-mail you back. Or we can do the reverse if you don't mind? Did you know they're moving to Austin??

Erin said...

Jennifer? I did just hear about Laurie! I'm so bummed out! Go ahead and grab my email from her and I'll do the same...tag you're it!